Fantom FA-76 - multiple midi notes being created, arrgh

Reaction score
Hi all. I didn't see any search capability on the site to search earlier discussions, hope I'm not asking a redundant Q.

I'm borrowing this Fantom FA-76 and so not real familiar with all behavior, but when recording, this thing keeps laying down as many as 5 midi notes on a single key hit (I'm using Logic Express, 2009). Very annoying. I have to keep going in an deleting this pile of midi notes manually on every key hit recorded. Anyone have any idea why this thing would do that? I have a Roland XP-10 which I've been using in the same software and it never does that. The keyboard isn't nearly as good (not weighted at all) as the Fantom, but at least it only makes one midi note when you play a given note. Any help appreciated.

best,
jt

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try turning off MIDI local control on the keyboard if you're running it thru a computer sequencing software.

Reaction score
Thank you HR. I'm not sure exactly where that setting is. There are a couple manuals here that I looked through

http://soundprogramming.net/synthesizers/roland/roland_fantom_fa_76

... I looked at the Manual and Parameter List but didn't see any MIDI setting that looked like "local control". Maybe if you take a glance through them and find the likely setting you can let me know what page they're on or something.

best,
jt

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's "Remote Keyboard Switch" on Page 183 of the main manual. All your MIDI settings are on 182-183 of the manual.. Try switching it to "ON" and see if that fixes your problem.

Also check page 180 on Sequencer mode. Master/Slave settings may play a part as well.

Reaction score
Thanks HR, for doing that research, appreciate it. Well neither setting reduced the MIDI notes down to just one note per key hit, but the master/slave setting believe it or not is now letting the thing create a consistent five notes (five!) per key hit when I set it to "slave MIDI" from "master". I don't like the five notes per key, but at least it's a consistent signal level for velocity. On "master", it makes 2, or 5, or one, so the volumes are all over the place.

I think there's something seriously wrong physically with this Fantom, the guy leaves it out in a freezing studio all winter; some of the keys put out inconsistent volumes, half dead, etc. What I really need is just a good keyboard as a controller, with nice weighted keys, to fire all the software synths. Any recommendations? Doesn't have to have 88 keys, I'm not really a keyboard player, heh. Thanks again!

jt

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's your budget for a controller? Weighted key action usually means 88 keys, like it or not. If you're looking for quality controllers, take a look at Novation or Fatar controllers. Mid range budget there's the Akai Professional Line and Bargain Basement there's M-Audio. I really don't recommend M-Audio. I have a cheap M-Audio Oxygen 49 that drops notes like nobody's business.

Anyway, if yer looking at Novation and Fatar, for the same price range you can already buy some professional stage pianos and use those as controllers as well.

Good luck,
Gary

Reaction score
thanks Gary. I don't know if I have a budget, yet (ha). But I'll save your rec's for the future.
best,
jt

Ask a Question