Fantom S - GarageBand on iPad via MIDI/USB cable trouble

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I`ve just tried to use sounds of garageband playing my Roland Fantom S. Used a MIDI-USB cable adapter. No problem with connection. No problem with sound while playing single key as well. But as soon as I play accords or at least two keys some weird sustain appears and garageband recognises keys release as a new signal (repeats the highest note in the accord). Tried to connect an old Yamaha PSR - no problem at all, operates perfectly. Does anybody know how to solve that?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Somewhere in your Roland there's a Local MIDI setting or something similar. Try switching it off.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary!
Yes. There are some midi settings in the menu. Switched all of them off but nothing changed. Also switched off all the effects, controllers, triggers etc. May there be some incompatibility? Seems that Fantom sends wrong midi signals.

Reaction score
Here is how midi menu looks like. Tried to switch it all off but nothing changed.:(

Attachments

• IMG_20140708_205720.jpg
    IMG_20140708_205720.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_20140708_205736.jpg
    IMG_20140708_205736.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 578

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you want to use the Roland as a MIDI keyboard controller for GarageBand, right?

If that's the case then you shouldn't need any of the Roland's MIDI Receive functions, so turn off the seven MIDI Receive functions.

Under the MIDI General settings, I think you should set the Performance Control Channel to off, since you aren't using GarageBand to switch performances on the Roland.

Under the MIDI Transmit settings, I think Transmit Edit Data can be turned off as well.

Transmit Program Change and Transmit Bank Select can also probably be turned off if you're selecting the desired sounds/patches from within GarageBand.

You should also be able to turn off the Soft Through setting.

I have no idea about the Transmit Active Sensing setting.

Looking at the Fantom-S owner's manual, I see a reference to "Chord Memory." Since the trouble you're having seems to be related to playing chords, you might want to play around with the Chord Memory function to see if that's causing the problem.

Reaction score
Thank you so much!
Yeah, the trouble is all about playing chords. I`ll try, hope it will help.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Thank you so much!
Yeah, the trouble is all about playing chords. I`ll try, hope it will help.

I have no experience with Fantoms and am just looking at the manual, so when I posted that I was just sort of grasping at straws in the dark while wearing big, fluffy mittens!

Have a look at this old thread in a different forum and see if there's anything there that might provide a clue-- it's a different problem, but does relate to using a Fantom as a MIDI controller:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2521761/Big_problem_using_Fantom_X7_as

Anyway, if you figure it out be sure to post what it was for the benefit of anyone who might run into the same thing.

Reaction score
Hi everybody!)
Eventually, the problem is solved. If you need your Fantom to send midi data properly, use Performance mode! Didn`t figure out how to use it in the Patch mode cause I don`t need it right now. Fantom S works perfectly with GarageBand and Logic only in the Performance mode.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Ask a Question