Fatar Controller Issue

Reaction score
Hi

I'm posting this here as it's the same Fatar keyboard used in Kurzweil controllers.

I have a Fatar/Studiologic sl-990xp. 5 keys are dead and they are in a pattern: the lowest Bb, the Gb 8 keys up , the D 8 keys up, Bb 8 keys up, Gb 8 up. The rest of the keyboard works normally although the 5 switches on the center circuit board don't seem to do anything and Motu AudioMidi Setup doesn't see it in a scan although the keyboard triggers all virtual intstruments perfectly.

I opened up the thing and cleaned the contact points, no change. Nothing unusual inside.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the dead key issue could be?

And, does anyone have any idea what the button and Motu issues could be and if they're all related?

thank you

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try unplugging and cleaning the contacts on all the internal ribbon connectors.

If the problem persists then it's a failure in the scan circuitry, probably a blown IC or a broken trace.

If you're not equipped with at least an oscilloscope there's probably not a hell of a lot more that you can do.

Here's a video on the sort of troubleshooting you'd have to do to fix this. Not for the squeamish or the fumble fingered.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeesh.

Thanks Gary. I did clean the ribbon connectors' contacts. I also switched the 2 big ones and the problem persists.

Off to the repairman.

Reaction score
Sounds like it has a problem on one of the tracks on the 8 x 8 matrix or a pin on the scanner IC, which would affect every 8th key

Ask a Question