Feedback on LK165 on using Synthesia

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wondering anyone has a review or feedback on LK-165, it's a lower edition of Casio, it has USB Midi which is great and lighted keys which I was looking for.

I saw a local ad that sells them for 80$ and was wondering if I should take it but I saw this post https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...sia-lowest-spec-with-key-lighting-midi.25733/

Which says t hat the Keyboard can only light up 4 keys at a time. Is that true? Considering I am using Synthesia (so there should be no limits?!)

thanks guys

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The sad truth is that lighted keys are actually an impediment to learning music.

You'd be better off spending $100, getting a CTK-3200 or CTK-2200 and learning to properly read the staff and learn the names of the keys.

Honestly there's only 11 named notes and then they repeat themselves. It's really not that hard to make the effort.

Lighted keys are a useless gimmick, pure and simple.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for your opinion but I was looking for an answer about the lighted keys at a time in LK 165...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, according to the LK-160 LK-165 LK-240 LK-247 User's Guide these models can light up to four keys at a time:

upload_2016-9-21_7-43-31.png

Sometimes the company's web site will list the keyboard's technical specifications, but Casio's online information about the LK-165 doesn't mention this limitation-- although the picture of the keyboard does show only four keys lit up.

What I like to do when I want to find out more about a particular keyboard is download its manual and other documents if they are available online. The user's guide should list the specifications, plus it will describe the keyboard's functionalities. You can also review the complete list of available instrument sounds ("tones") and the MIDI messages that the keyboard recognizes and can transmit, making these documents extremely useful in helping you research a keyboard in detail before you "pull the trigger" on a purchase:

http://support.casio.com/en/manual/manual.php?cid=008

The fact that you plan to use the keyboard with Synthesia doesn't make any difference in this matter, because the number of keys that can be lit up simultaneously at any given time is determined by the keyboard's mechanical, electrical, and electronic components.

By the way, you might also be interested in a program called Piano Booster:

http://pianobooster.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGruff, I will keep that in mind. Will check EZ-220 of Yamaha and compare for I think the Yamaha got no limits as I remember.

I was also looking at PianoBooster, I might try that first before moving to Synthesia

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
There's also an online program called Piano Marvel that was just mentioned in another thread. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if there's a way to use your own MIDI files with it.

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff, can you help me find the maximum light at a time for EZ-220 by Yamaha.

Would love to provide a link but I can't since new member, just google this "yamaha ez 220 manual"

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
There's a free membership for Piano Marvel, but I haven't signed up for one so I don't know what its capabilities are.

The EZ-220's manual doesn't say whether there's a limit on how many keys can be lit at once; it just says that the keys for channel 1 of the MIDI song will be lit.

Reaction score
I see, I assume this is my best bet for what I am looking for.

Thanks again for all the help! it has been great

Ask a Question