Finding additional pads and keyboard textures

Reaction score
I've been recording solo piano for a while, but want to include some other, subtle textures underneath the piano...lush pads and strings. What if my piano/keyboard doesn't have those other sounds I'm looking for?

My Roland KF90 reproduces the pure acoustic grand really well -- so much so that it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. However, it includes very few pads that I really like. It has MIDI in and out ports.

I want to be able to mix layers, rather than just splitting them or having no control over how much each layer is in the mix. Customization, I guess.

I've been thinking about the new Korg Kronos, but am wondering if there are sound modules that may also include a library of pads I'd like.

I've seen some software collections you load onto your laptop. Can I play these through my keyboard/piano? Do they play in real time as I strike each note?

Reaction score
Couple of options:

(1) Hardware module or another keyboard that has pad sounds you like. Midi out from your Roland to midi in on the module or keyboard.

(2) Use your laptop as a VST host and run some software instruments.

Before I go off on the wrong track here - what way do you want to do this?

I mean are you ok to record the Roland piano first then add the pads later, recording one track at a time - or do you want to be playing the piano and fade a pad in and out which is doubling the notes you are playing on the Roland piano?

Reaction score
Couple of options:

(1) Hardware module or another keyboard that has pad sounds you like. Midi out from your Roland to midi in on the module or keyboard.

(2) Use your laptop as a VST host and run some software instruments.

Before I go off on the wrong track here - what way do you want to do this?

I mean are you ok to record the Roland piano first then add the pads later, recording one track at a time - or do you want to be playing the piano and fade a pad in and out which is doubling the notes you are playing on the Roland piano?

Hmmm. Not sure what option is best. How do you use the laptop as a VST? Can I access those sounds from my Roland? I'm looking at some of EastWest's sound libraries. Have never done this before.

Reaction score
EastWest do some good stuff. Native Instruments, Sonivox and Eric Pershing's (think that's right) Omnisphere - all worth a google.

You'll need your laptop to play the sounds - may mean buying a bit of hardware for your laptop that'll take the midi IN from your Roland.

Have you a music shop near you with a keyboard department? Pop in and get them to demo what they have. Tell them what you're looking to do.

What about how you'll play the pads - simultaneously with the piano or as a separate track?

Reaction score
EastWest do some good stuff. Native Instruments, Sonivox and Eric Pershing's (think that's right) Omnisphere - all worth a google.

You'll need your laptop to play the sounds - may mean buying a bit of hardware for your laptop that'll take the midi IN from your Roland.

Have you a music shop near you with a keyboard department? Pop in and get them to demo what they have. Tell them what you're looking to do.

What about how you'll play the pads - simultaneously with the piano or as a separate track?

Thanks again for the help. With the software, assuming I can make a MIDI connecting from my mixer to the laptop, who do I "play" the sounds? By playing the keys on the keyboard?

I live in rural New Hampshire - but can drive to Boston and other major cities in an hour or so. Still looking for a good keyboard shop where the techs actually know something and don't have makeup and green hair [and that's the guys!]. They seemed more wanna-bee's than pros.

Reaction score
If you can get the MIDI out of the Roland and into the laptop - it's easy. The laptop runs the VSTs as a standalone or "hosted" in another program. They'll sound when you play. What model is the Alesis USB mixer?

Seeing someone demo this for you will be the quickesy way to get going. Take your laptop and mixer to the music shop you choose. Any keyboard with a midi out can take the place of your Roland for the purposes of them doing a demo for you.

Another option is to find a local keyboard player - maybe gigging in a venue near you. Most keyboard players are more than happy to show off their keyboard rig. A few beers may be all the payment you need - save you a drive to see the green haired "experts."

If you can't get anyone near you - or any joy at a music shop - post back and I'm sure the posters on here will be able to chip in and get you going.

Audacity hosts VST effects (or it can do AFAIK) - but I don't think it'll host a VST software instrument.

The Kronos you mention is the very latest (very expensive) new kid on the block. If it's just interesting pad sounds you'll be able to get something for much less.

Anyone reading this want to post and recommend a module with interesting pad sounds?

A hardware module would be the easiest to integrate into the way you're working now - just leave the laptop for recording duties. Roland MIDI out to module MIDI in. Just record the output from the module on another Audacity track.

Reaction score
If you can get the MIDI out of the Roland and into the laptop - it's easy. The laptop runs the VSTs as a standalone or "hosted" in another program. They'll sound when you play. What model is the Alesis USB mixer?

Seeing someone demo this for you will be the quickesy way to get going. Take your laptop and mixer to the music shop you choose. Any keyboard with a midi out can take the place of your Roland for the purposes of them doing a demo for you.

Another option is to find a local keyboard player - maybe gigging in a venue near you. Most keyboard players are more than happy to show off their keyboard rig. A few beers may be all the payment you need - save you a drive to see the green haired "experts."

If you can't get anyone near you - or any joy at a music shop - post back and I'm sure the posters on here will be able to chip in and get you going.

Audacity hosts VST effects (or it can do AFAIK) - but I don't think it'll host a VST software instrument.

The Kronos you mention is the very latest (very expensive) new kid on the block. If it's just interesting pad sounds you'll be able to get something for much less.

Anyone reading this want to post and recommend a module with interesting pad sounds?

A hardware module would be the easiest to integrate into the way you're working now - just leave the laptop for recording duties. Roland MIDI out to module MIDI in. Just record the output from the module on another Audacity track.

BTW, what is "VST?" Sorry -- totally new to the software stuff.

The Alesis Mixer is the 4 channel USB mixer, "Multimix 4"

If I want to play 'live' for gigs, does it make sense to go with the sound module instead of software -- which would require bringing the laptop?

With a sound module, can I simultaneously play the straight acoustic grand from the Roland, while playing the pads/strings sounds from the sound module; and can I tailor how much each is in the overall mix 'live?"

Are there sound modules that I can add new sounds to in the future?

Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
VST instrument. It's a format originally from Steinberg (the Cubase people). It may be "AU" you need for a mac - maybe someone can post and help out.

Anyway short version is a VST is a software instrument - like a synth or organ or drum machine or ... but it is modelled in software.

Live for gigs - people use a laptop but it brings hassles of its own. Hardware is easier if you can find sounds you like in a module.

Yes to mixing sound levels live - various way you can do it.

What's your budget? Are you looking for a quick fix - just a few pads you like to blend with the Roland's piano - or ...

Reaction score
VST instrument. It's a format originally from Steinberg (the Cubase people). It may be "AU" you need for a mac - maybe someone can post and help out.

Anyway short version is a VST is a software instrument - like a synth or organ or drum machine or ... but it's exists and is modelled in software.

Live for gigs - people use a laptop but it brings hassles of it's own. Hardware is easier if you can find sounds you like in a module.

Yes to mixing sound levels live - various way you can do it.

What's your budget? Are you looking for a quick fix - just a few pads you like to blend with the Roland's piano - or ...

Thanks for explaining VST. That's what I was thinking it was.

If I can find a sound module, that sounds like the best bet -- especially for 'live' situations -- if it has enough sounds. Looking particularly for lush strings, pads. But, I may also want to expand to VST at some point for more "film score" kind of stuff -- for more drum/percussion sounds and strings/pads. This would be more for recording work.

I've done some already, but could expand my sound library for sure. Here's a film score -like piece I did for a video. I've linked to it here to give you an idea. It was all done through the Roland.

My budget right now [I just did an online fundraiser] is $500 to $800 dollars, unless more money comes in. I raised $1400, but some of that will go towards the production/ promotion costs of the new solo piano CD I'll be doing.

Reaction score

A nice cheap as chips sound module ... expandable if you have more cash ... some great pads with "movement" is the Roland JV1010 or 1080

Ask a Question