Finding instrument on DGX-500 or YPG-635

Reaction score
I don't know how to play piano, but have a DGX-500 and YPG-635 keyboards. I would like to try and learn "A WHITER SHADE OF PALE" by Procol Harem. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to make one of these keyboards sound like the organ sound in that song. Also wondering where I might get style files and stuff without going through the Yamaha website. I really want to learn, but am 70 and on fixed income. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reaction score
The Yamaha style file of Whiter Shade of Pale is £2.49 but you can probably approximate the style and sound from what you have.

On the DGX there are about 7 inbuilt organ sounds and about the same Ballad styles that you could use or you could use one of the 8 beat styles and slow its tempo down.

Have a look through both manuals and play the organs on each that are available. Use the most appropriate one and the same with the style.

When I play AWSOP all I do is play with a split keyboard with organ and the melody right handed and using strings, chords on the left with an accentuated Bass, that is I play the chord lift one finger and play the bass note on the three of the bar. Backing is a simple slow drum preset.

BTW
I have seen and heard Gary Brooker perform the song, it brought the house down.

Here is the man himself to help give you inspiration.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out the organ voices in the XGlite section of the voice list. The XGlite organ voices include a few that have a rotary speaker effect built in.

Also, if you need a richer sound, don't overlook the possibility of layering a Main Voice and a Dual Voice together.

As it happens, there's an entry in the DGX-500's MDB (Music Database) called "WhitePle," which is for "A Whiter Shade of Pale." It's MDB number 23. The MDB entries are sort of like Registrations, in the sense that when you select one of them, it selects one of your keyboard's built-in styles, selects one of the voices, and sets the tempo.

I don't see it listed in the YPG-635's manual.

Reaction score
The Yamaha style file of Whiter Shade of Pale is £2.49 but you can probably approximate the style and sound from what you have.

On the DGX there are about 7 inbuilt organ sounds and about the same Ballad styles that you could use or you could use one of the 8 beat styles and slow its tempo down.

Have a look through both manuals and play the organs on each that are available. Use the most appropriate one and the same with the style.

When I play AWSOP all I do is play with a split keyboard with organ and the melody right handed and using strings, chords on the left with an accentuated Bass, that is I play the chord lift one finger and play the bass note on the three of the bar. Backing is a simple slow drum preset.

BTW

Thank yo so much Biggles. I will look into that... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out the organ voices in the XGlite section of the voice list. The XGlite organ voices include a few that have a rotary speaker effect built in.

Also, if you need a richer sound, don't overlook the possibility of layering a Main Voice and a Dual Voice together.

As it happens, there's an entry in the DGX-500's MDB (Music Database) called "WhitePle," which is for "A Whiter Shade of Pale." It's MDB number 23. The MDB entries are sort of like Registrations, in the sense that when you select one of them, it selects one of your keyboard's built-in styles, selects one of the voices, and sets the tempo.

I don't see it listed in the YPG-635's manual.
Thank you so much for your help. I will learn to play and use these keyboards before I am gone...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Great video Col. The master still has it.
A beautiful tune Python. It has been one of my favs since it's origin. I have the 45 somewhere.
As a matter of fact, this is deja vu since I posted this same question some years ago here . . About what kind of organ is used.
I will dig into the archives of old threads.
Cheers
Ray

Reaction score
A Hammond M102 was the organ played.

The opening riff is supposedly derived from a piece by Bach called Air Suite 2

Mathew Fisher co-wrote AWSOP with Gary Brooker and it was Fisher who originally played the organ in the song.

There was a very expensive legal case between Brooker and Fisher that was all over the News at the time.

Gary Brooker was guesting in Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings when we saw him, now that was a concert and a half, all superb musicians especially the guitarist Albert Lee one of the best in the world btw he is currently touring the USA and Canada you are in for a great concert if you go and see him.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. I will learn to play and use these keyboards before I am gone...

My YPT-400 has that same Music Database entry, so I'm going to pull it out of its gear bag and see what built-in style and built-in voice it uses. Even if a newer model doesn't have the same Music Database records as an older model, it might still have the built-in style and built-in voice that one of the old entries used.

EDIT: By the way, your reply to Col had his post quoted twice, so I deleted the duplicate quote. That's why your post says "edited by a moderator." :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
@python_one, I got out my YPT-400 and selected the "WhitePle" Music Database entry to see what Voice, Style, Style Variation, and Tempo it set. You may have already done that on your DGX-500, but I'm posting this for any other Yamaha YPT/PSR-E or YPG/DGX users who are interested in playing this song on their instruments.

Music Database: WhitePle (A Whiter Shade of Pale)

Main Voice: Cool!Org (Cool! Organ)
M.Volume: 090
M.Octave: -1
M.Pan: 064
M.Reverb: 028
M.Chorus: 000

Dual Voice: Off
Split Voice: Off
Accompaniment: On

Reverb: Hall2
Chorus: Chorus1

Style: OrganBld (Organ Ballad)
Variation: A
Tempo: 078

Even though the YPG-635 doesn't have a Music Database entry for "WhitePle," it does have the built-in Voice and Style which are selected by this entry:

Voice Number 021: Cool!Org
Style Number 033: OrganBld

Try those with the other settings listed above, and see how it sounds.

Reaction score

BTW

Reaction score
Thank you so much Biggles. Will look into that... :) Do you know where to order the style file for that. I am in the U.S.A.... ?

Reaction score
@python_one, I got out my YPT-400 and selected the "WhitePle" Music Database entry to see what Voice, Style, Style Variation, and Tempo it set. You may have already done that on your DGX-500, but I'm posting this for any other Yamaha YPT/PSR-E or YPG/DGX users who are interested in playing this song on their instruments.

Music Database: WhitePle (A Whiter Shade of Pale)

Main Voice: Cool!Org (Cool! Organ)
M.Volume: 090
M.Octave: -1
M.Pan: 064
M.Reverb: 028
M.Chorus: 000

Dual Voice: Off
Split Voice: Off
Accompaniment: On

Reverb: Hall2
Chorus: Chorus1

Style: OrganBld (Organ Ballad)
Variation: A
Tempo: 078

Even though the YPG-635 doesn't have a Music Database entry for "WhitePle," it does have the built-in Voice and Style which are selected by this entry:

Voice Number 021: Cool!Org
Style Number 033: OrganBld

Try those with the other settings listed above, and see how it sounds.

Ask a Question