Finding the right sound for each song

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a complete newbie.
I have played piano for many years and during this time I've always had an upright piano and a keyboard.
The keyboard I have at the moment is a Roland fantom x8. I only play piano mixed with strings on the Roland so I guess it's always been like a piano to me too.

BUT.
I now need to recreate sounds like organ and strings incase I join a band.
The band play the likes of thunder. Whitesnake Bonjovi. Etc
I have been trailing through hundreds of built in sounds (are they called patches) trying to find the most similar ones to the original but was wondering if I can download them from the Internet that someone has already created.
This would save me many hours of sitting searching through all the sounds.
Many thanks for any advice. Bren

Reaction score
There aren't many sites that will offer you sounds for specific songs (not that I know of anyway). There are so many different models of synth and workstation that even if they were published, you'd have even more trouble finding one for you model than just going through the inbuilt sounds. There are some guides around for recreating some of the more famous synth sounds (OK, Van Halen) which can apply to any synth, but they're not much help unless you know what sounds you have in the first place - boiling down to going through all the patches again!

My advice is to go through all the patches, so you have a fairly good idea of what you have before you start, and then experiment with editing patches, just to get a feel for how the procedure works. There may be quick-start guides around to help you (you might want to wait a bit before tackling the manual...) You may end up creating what you were looking for by chance!

Reaction score
That's great news. Thanks for the reply. At least I know now that there's no easy way to do it.
I already have found sounds that are similar so I'll use these as they are and start modifying them when I get time to experiment a little more.
Cheers. Bren

Ask a Question