Finger Muscle or is it?

Reaction score
This has got me thinking

I went for my lesson straight from work last week. I usually keep my finger strengthener in my pocket, its become a bit of an habbit now, always pressing away whenever i get chance.

Anyhow, i showed it to my teacher and his fingers seemed to be not quite as strong as mine. So would i be right in thinking its more a case of strengthening and stretching the tendons and not actual muscle strength in the fingers that's required?

Just a thought

(ready to be shot down)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IMHO it seems to me it's a matter of strength and dexterity. Those would be the key factors involved. As well as trained muscle memory for runs and arpeggios.

Gary ;)
\

Reaction score
The fingers dont have any muscle of their own. They have tendens that join to hand muscles. From a pure medical POV, its not about strength at all - its about dexterity.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
But those tendons are useless without the muscles and the muscle control they are attached to.

So technically it's about hand strength and dexterity but either way tomato tomahto... :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
You can have weakness in the fingers yet strong healthy muscles in the arms and wrists.
That is me!
That is why I couldn't play guitar. Needs finger strength to wrap around the fret bar. Playing keyboard requires finger movement of a different and more simple action .
Ray

Ask a Question