Fingering triads in 12 keys

Reaction score
I recently began learning the keyboard. For the most part, I'm doing fine. But, I'm having problems with fingering when I play I-IV-V chords (with inversions) in 12 keys.

I have average size hands. I'm not having much trouble with my left; but, I am having trouble reaching the keys with my right hand when sharps and flats are involved. I find that if I play the white keys toward the top (thinnest), I can cover the span. If, however, I try to play the chord using the lowest (widest) part of the keys, I have to lift and move my hand or cross one hand over the other one.

Any suggestions on the proper method for fingering I-IV-V chords would be most welcome

Thanks,

Marty

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that how far up you can play on the white keys on a given keyboard is one of the things the pros look at when choosing a keyboard. Depending on the keyboard, the keys may or may not extend very far back into the body of the keyboard, which can affect where the fulcrum point(?) is on the keys, which can affect how the keys feel when you're playing way up near where the keys go into the body of the keyboard. I'm not sure if I said that right, but I know that it's one of the things the pros ask each other about when they're asking about other people's experiences with a particular keyboard that they're interested in.

Reaction score
Whatever works for you is fine.

As it is I have difficulty playing up the white notes due to large fingers so I have to play with my hand sort of sideways.

Good that you are using inversions and you may like to practice a walking chord sequence using the good ole I IV V, so to keep it simple C F & G to start with, play them in sequence but keep them moving right and when you get to the end, move back down.

You will find that you use root, first and second of each chord, when you get comfortable change the chords.

Reaction score
Yes, I understand that how far up you can play on the white keys on a given keyboard is one of the things the pros look at when choosing a keyboard.
This is the reason many people find the 61 key keybed used on Korg’s Krome, Kross and KingKorg frustrating to play on.

I’ve learned to live with it, but it does take some adjustment and a bit of control is definitely sacrificed. I remove the velocity sensitivity on a lot of my patches to help combat this.

Ask a Question