First Post: Signal path problem!

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post, new to the forum, here's the situation:

I have a Roland RD300NX and Juno DS61 on rack in front of me. I have both going from the L/Mono Out into a Boss FS-6 footswitch, going into an Amoon Looper pedal via dual-pole jack lead (as recommended by Boss for it to actually work), going into a Vox AC15C1 Guitar Amp (for practice, low volume as to not damage the cone).

I cannot seem to get audio from both keyboards simultaneously and cannot verify whether it is a problem with the Amp not accepting dual-pole jack leads (which I am unable to check), a problem with my routing/polarity of outputs etc, can anybody shed some light on the issue? Is it as simple as "Jon mate, you need a different amp you pleb"? Thanks in advance guys, look forward to chatting more about gear and everything keys in the future!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off, playing keys thru a guitar amp is just plain wrong.

Secondly, If I get you right, is that you are trying to switch back and forth between keyboards to create individual loops?

Two recommendations here.

1) Buy a cheap Mixer and combine the signals there.

2) Buy a decent keyboard practice amp. Behringer makes some decent low cost keyboard amps with mixing capabilities built in.

I own a K450FX which has 3 line level inputs.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultratone-Ultra-Flexible-3-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B000MJ9EBA/

But if you plan to keep the looper in the mix you will still need the mixer.

The Behringer Xenyx 502 can handle both of your keyboard inputs and route them directly to the looper which can then output stereo to a proper keyboard amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-Premium-5-Input-British/dp/B000J5UEGQ/

At least that's my take on it.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just reread your question.

The whole point of the footswitch is to switch between sources. There are no mixing capabilities built in.

See my previous post. What you require is a mixer AND a proper amp.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And welcome to the forum btw. It's a shame you are running some first rate keys thru a crappy guitar amp though :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheers Gary! Was told in the shop it had an A+B path mode? Clearly I have been mislead! :p Amp is a beaut for guitar stuff though handwired tube-y goodness ;)

Take home is I'll have to go with my back up plan of a Roland KC60 (so I can still gig small jazz venues with it) and a little mini mixer.

(The looper is mainly for practice purposes, I record myself playing basslines for tunes and throwing in some drums from the Juno becuase why not it's fun, and then comping myself and soloing over it as if in a trio or something like that :) Thanks so much for the feedback man! )

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're welcome. The Roland looks like a nice amp, but nearly twice as spendy as the Behringer K450FX. Either one should do nicely. I'm very happy with my K450FX.

As for the A+B mode on the footswitch? If it actually merges the two output signals with proper isolation it can literally damage the outputs on either or both of the keyboards.

DEFINITELY get the mixer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just ordered one of the behringer 502a units for that ultra budget compact vibe ;) Will be investing in a new amp some way down the line and will definitely be posting some gear p*rn once I've got moved in to my new flat and got everything looking and sounding pretty :p Thanks again for all your help man!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good to hear.

My advice is to unplug that footswitch ASAP just in case it accidentally gets turned to A+B mode and blows an output transistor on a keyboard.

Looking forward to seeing your gear pr*n :)

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I just went to the Boss site for the Boss FS-6. That thing is two different control foot switches in a single box, not for switching audio signals. I'm amazed if you get any audio through that thing.

As happyrat1 said, remove it immediately from the audio signal train. What you're looking for would be some sort of double volume pedals with a mixer, which I've never seen before. Get a cheap four input mixer, and send the stereo feeds of each of the two instruments to a separate input. Don't sum to mono until the very last possible minute.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm glad you caught that Fred. I wasn't able to find much on that footswitch.

It's been a problem since forever that musical instrument manufacturers use 1/4 TS and TRS jacks for everything from balanced and unbalanced audio outputs and inputs to control pedals and foot switches that essentially short out the terminals they are connected to.

Unlike consumer gear where audio and computer manufacturers take extensive pains to properly label and idiot proof connections music manufacturers have been stuck in the 1920's ever since Gibson created the first electric guitars. :p

If I didn't have so much sunk into cabling and connectors already I'd welcome an overnight shift in the industry to create a consumer proof, idiot proof keyboard design as a new standard from now on.

At the very least they could label the audio and control inputs and cables with some sort of industry standard color coding to avoid potential blowouts like this one.

Then again, they wouldn't be selling as many new keyboards and repair parts if they had a sensible design, would they? :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question