Fly gigs- backline help!

Reaction score
Hi, I tour nationally in a tribute act and fly a lot. When traveling on wheels I use a Roland RD800 and a VR09 for synth and organ sounds. When I fly, I take the VR09 and get backline for the big board. There are times I can’t get the RD800 for one reason or another so I have to figure out an unfamiliar board and try to get my sounds just right, I use two different pianos, vintage Rhodes, phaser Rhodes, wurli, clav, and a soft pad depending on the song, and everything is EQ’d just right. It’s frustratingly difficult sometimes to find what I need, the EQ’s are different so our sound guy has to compensate from FOH, etc. Is there a way to use my usb live set backup on a board that’s not an RD800? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, as Dave kinda said, if you need YOUR sounds, you pretty much need to travel with YOUR sounds, whether in a dedicated module like the one he suggested, or in a laptop or tablet of some sort. Not too many boards read the backup data from other boards even from the same mfr, forget about what happens if you get backlined a board from some other mfr.

Reaction score
I had the same issue; I use a Kurzweil PC3; try getting one of those in a backline situation. I instead carry one of these; it is all the bread and butter sounds needed (other than saxophones).

Any generic keyboard will work with it. Watch the video.

Fits in one of these bags https://www.worldtourcases.com/collections/mixer-bags/products/deluxe-series-gig-bag-model-950
Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Reaction score
Yeah, as Dave kinda said, if you need YOUR sounds, you pretty much need to travel with YOUR sounds, whether in a dedicated module like the one he suggested, or in a laptop or tablet of some sort. Not too many boards read the backup data from other boards even from the same mfr, forget about what happens if you get backlined a board from some other mfr.
I figured it wouldn’t be easy but thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
I operate in exactly the same scenario as you - I take two keyboards with me on the plane but backline my stage piano (which is a Korg SV1).

I always try to get an SV-1 but if that's unavailable I go with what they have - ironically that's often a Roland of some kind. The main sounds I need are AP, AP with strings, Wurli, Wurli with an auto wah and Rhodes.

I feel your pain around not having the EQ set up exactly as you like it, but I long ago decided not to lose sleep over issues like that. What does help a little is most decent stage pianos have multiple versions of each of the sounds I need, and I just look for one that's reasonably close to what I'm used to hearing. I let the sound engineer worry about the rest. It's not perfect but it does the job well enough. I'm very confident not one audience member notices such things. In fact sometimes I wonder if they notice the keyboard player at all!

Reaction score
I wonder that too sometimes! Lol thanks for your response. You’re right that nobody knows your sounds aren’t YOUR sounds, but man I miss them when I’m out for a while.

Reaction score
That's why the midi module, laptop scenario makes sense. Other than the speaker you monitor with may need a little EQ if it is not the same monitor that you are use to, the sounds are the sounds; you can trigger them from any midi keyboard. If you are doing alot of fly out flights you just might want to make the investment.

Reaction score
Just so I understand, I can use the Gemini to source my RD800 sounds thru a generic keyboard, or will I be working with the Gemini sounds, tweaking them how I like them and using those for consistency? Thanks for your guidance!

Reaction score
Yep - the Gemini is its own thing. Dave’s point is it’s more portable than a keyboard, so if you like it, you can always have it.

The only way you’ll get the Roland sounds you like is to use another Roland.

Ask a Question