Foot Switching

Reaction score
Foot switches are used quite often by many different keyboard players, with different keyboards. Yet, I've never seen any menu on any keyboard where you set up a list or something with the sounds that the pedal will be switching between.

This has made me quite confused, since it's a quite important function, and so it shouldn't be that hard to find, or is it maybe done in the computer?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
I think most foot switching on a keyboard is designated through the sliders, if your key has independent sliders that you can assign I'd check that out first. Mine has one footswich option, plus sustain pedal...I generally use a slider if I need to scroll. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hmm... That sounds weird to me... Assigning the foot switch through the sliders? I don't know if there might be different kinds of foot switching, but if there is, we might be talking about different things...

To clearify: I'm talking about the foot switch that switches between different sounds and patches, i.ex: I'm playing with a piano sound, then I step on the foot switch pedal, and the sound changes into strings.

I have a hard time believing that this is assigned with the sliders... But if it is, then I'm sorry for the bad tone this post might have had.

Reaction score
Hey Sargas...I sure didn't read any bad tone into your post, and are you talking about a midi-type foot switch? The actual midi foot board? To me there are foot switches that switch between 2 distict sounds or midi boards that allow programing between multiple sounds like guitar players use...btw what kind of keyboard do you own?

Reaction score

That's the kind of foot switching I'm refering to, I don't know what it's called, I just know that it switches between sounds xD

My current keyboard does not support a foot switch pedal (Yamaha DGX-220), but I'm gathering as much information as I can so that next time I buy a new keyboard, I will get exactly what I'm looking for :).

What brought me to this question was that I've never seen any menu on any keyboard I've tried in the stores where you set which sound to change to when stepping on the pedal. Which makes it hard for me to know wether the keyboard supports that kind of foot switching or not.

Thanks for helping :)

Reaction score
i bet you already figured it out, but this is how JR does it.

on the triton and karma it leaves some compelte banks blank. so you can litteraly copy and paste things in order. for a song i play it goes
lead
srings
lead
strings
lead
choir
piano

lots of copying and pasting... and you go increment up in the pedal switch input... its tedius.. but you gotta sometimes. might i add it kinda gives u a 'patch remain' effect

Reaction score
I actually made a new thread about this a few months ago, but about how to do it in Sequence mode. But before I got any answers to the thread, I figured it out by myself ^^

I used the method you mentioned at first, but ended up with having the very same sound saved on like 10 different places in the soundbank, which filled up unnecessary bankslots.
Now I'm using Sequence mode instead, which allows me to save the lists into my SD card, allowing me to have almost unlimited amounts of lists. (a list of 30 sounds is about 250kb, my SD card can hold 2GB)

Reaction score
Foot switches are used quite often by many different keyboard players, with different keyboards.
Yet, I've never seen any menu on any keyboard where you set up a list or something with the sounds that the pedal will be switching between.

This has made me quite confused, since it's a quite important function, and so it shouldn't be that hard to find, or is it maybe done in the computer?

Thanks in advance :)

For gigs my usual set-up is my Korg M50 + Nord Electro.

Most of the 'donkey-work' is on the M50.

I don't know about your Yamaha, but on the M50 setting up the pedal for program changes is easy.

(The large touchscreen helps :cool:!)

You simply place voices in the order you need them, then a press of the switch scrolls through to the next voice.

I'm certain this isn't unique to Korg :).

Reaction score
Art X-15 Pedal

I use an old ART X-15 MIDI pedal that I use the note output I get when in "Mode" function for each button.

Taking those notes I can setup triggers or any other type of on/off function in Live looping various MIDI routings in/out and such, or you could trigger patch change scenes in Live or loop triggers. Depends on what you want to do. I find that Live is some pretty good glue for solving alot of problems.

I actually setup my X-15 in a way that I had 2 MIDI keyboards. Each has to come through live to route back out. Each row was a keyboard and the first top/bottom combo linked either board to the first, second to the second and so on. It was a neat little matrix.

I've moved on from that and use it more for advancing scenes and pulling off things that I can free up my hands to play more now.

Reaction score
To clear out some question marks, I'd like to clarify that this is an OOOOLD post (soon 1 year old). Nowadays I own a Korg M50-88, and have solved this problem quite a few months ago, so there is no need to help me with this any more :p

Ask a Question