For a beginner, ctk 6200 or ypg 235 or....

Reaction score
I know it's probably a dumb question but I'm struggling, too many choices in the 200 range. I have been learning on and off with a 49 key midi and it works fine but I would be better off with a stand alone unit.
The Casio and the Yamaha are two I've been looking at, also the psr 353 as well.
Thoughts appreciated.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
This is probably my biases, but I'd recommend the YPG 235 over the other two.

Why? More keys. And weighted, too.

More keys is less important, given that the other two keyboards are both five octaves, which is (in my mind) the minimum you should get for an only keyboard. (If you're going the Rick Wakeman route and playing a bunch at the same time, then the size of an individual keyboard is less important.) But an extra octave or so gives you a little more space to spread out, and to split the sounds, etc. (The traditional piano keyboard has yet another octave of keys, with a total of 88. The entire range is almost never used.)

What is more important is the weighted keys. This is probably because I come from a piano background, but I find moving to lighter keys when I'm used to playing heavier keys is much easier than going the other way. Piano keyboards have a much heavier action than organs, etc. So getting your chops up on a heavier keyboard will, in the long run, make you a more flexible player.

But I'm sure you'll get other opinions from the other members of this forum, most of whom are far more knowledgeable about your options. Just because I responded first doesn't mean that you should give my thoughts excess weight.

Reaction score
Appreciate the comment. On my part, I should have realized this question has probably been beaten to death. Ultimately it's up to me I guess and I'm also leaning towards the 235 yamaha for many reasons though the keyboard feels more intimidating being so much bigger than others in that price range.

Ask a Question