For Anyone Wanting To Take Up Guitar...

Reaction score
... I have created this chart which shows all of the notes on a guitar tab in relation to each other and where they sit on a music staff. Hopefully someone will find it helpful.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're an octave off. You need to use the treble clef with an 8 underneath it, to indicate that the actual notes are an octave lower than written.

For an example, go to the Wikipedia article on guitar tuning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tunings
The open low E string on a guitar is the E below Middle C, otherwise you'll be getting into bass guitar territory.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The open low E string on a guitar is the E below Middle C, otherwise you'll be getting into bass guitar territory.

Nope. The low E string on a guitar is the E an octave and more below Middle C. The low E string on a bass is two octaves and change below Middle C. (Also known as a fifth above the bottom of traditional piano keyboard.)

I found a picture for you.

Attachments

• Guitar-String-Notes-Piano-Keyboard.jpg
    Guitar-String-Notes-Piano-Keyboard.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
Nope. The low E string on a guitar is the E an octave and more below Middle C. The low E string on a bass is two octaves and change below Middle C. (Also known as a fifth above the bottom of traditional piano keyboard.)

I found a picture for you.

Thanks for the pic. Things are starting to get complicated now. I have just had a look at these sites:

Piano Key Frequencies
Guitar Open String Frequencies

And they suggest that it's the other way and that the low open E string on a guitar is actually the E above middle C!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fred, Well I have amended the file, so here's version 2 and to be honest, I'm still not sure despite the frequency evidence. The software I used (Sibelius) agrees with the first draft. I will have to get my guitar out and play it with my piano and see which is a better match, but that will be tomorrow now as it's just gone midnight.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
There are web sites out there claiming that they can teach perfect pitch. My problem is that pitch itself is arbitrary. Generally, people think of A=440 Htz, but the reality is that there's nothing magical about 440 Htz. Many orchestras deliberately tune to frequencies either higher or lower than A=440. Sometimes significantly so.

So IF you have "perfect pitch", what happens when you hear an orchestra tuned to some other standard? Or if you developed perfect pitch to that other standard, do "normal" orchestras bother you? Just how useful is this skill?

What you want to develop is relative pitch. Be able to recognize the intervals and the chord types. That will be much more useful. And for that, look for "ear training." (The Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto offers ear training online. I haven't taken the courses yet, but I'm thinking about it seriously. http://www.rcmusic.ca/four-star-ear-training Maybe after the holidays.)

Reaction score
There are web sites out there claiming that they can teach perfect pitch. My problem is that pitch itself is arbitrary. Generally, people think of A=440 Htz, but the reality is that there's nothing magical about 440 Htz. Many orchestras deliberately tune to frequencies either higher or lower than A=440. Sometimes significantly so.

So IF you have "perfect pitch", what happens when you hear an orchestra tuned to some other standard? Or if you developed perfect pitch to that other standard, do "normal" orchestras bother you? Just how useful is this skill?

What you want to develop is relative pitch. Be able to recognize the intervals and the chord types. That will be much more useful. And for that, look for "ear training." (The Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto offers ear training online. I haven't taken the courses yet, but I'm thinking about it seriously. http://www.rcmusic.ca/four-star-ear-training Maybe after the holidays.)
thank you. After saying that about perfect pitch i thought i was hijacking the thread and thought it wasn't appropriate. I tend to make a thread about what i want it to be about instead of what it is. I am sorry.

Ask a Question