... for arthritis: mini keyboard with programmable keys + ...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope you guys don't mind me parachuting in here. I'll try to be brief and not bore you.
Played guitar and sang for 30+ years but arthritis ended it two years ago. Fingers are not too bad generally but index on left hand won't bend and others won't bend tight to play chords. Looking for another instrument to play in pub night with other acoustic guitar/banjo/fiddle mouth organ players :)

This is what it seems I would need - but have no idea if it exists :)

Small size keyboard (full sized keys) no more than ~60cm wide
Usual variety of instruments/sounds/etc.
Built in speaker
Ability to play full chords with one key or two
Battery powered

My fingers will play a keyboard and I would be quite happy to start to learn to play it properly over time ... but to start playing now I need the programmable function.

Anyone know of something I could use ?

Saoir
Ireland

The Y_man

Reaction score
Size will be the main issue here - with full size 61 key, you'd be lookingat 90cm wide.

The rest is easy to fulfill.....

Yamaha PSR/YPT series, Casio CTK series etc

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
If the actual keys didn't have to be full size, you get things like

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/mini/ma150/spec/

But when you get to this size, a mouth organ would drown them out, so having an onboard speaker's probably not worth it? Even my CTK-7000 needs to be amped for a small room....

If you didn't need speakers etc on board AND have sound generation elsewhere (rack module etc) then you can use a small midi controller

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMA25S.aspx

The Y-man

Reaction score
I don't know that anyone makes an arranger-style keyboard with less than 61 keys any more.
Yamaha, Casio, GEM, etc. all have done in the past, but don't list any current models that I can find.

Something second-hand like this might do... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-ps..._MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item4aba561c01 But as Y-man points out, you are going to struggle to be heard against guitar/banjo/fiddle with these small home keyboards' internal speakers.

The alternative would be to get a small MIDI keyboad like the one that Y_Man pointed out, and something like the Roland BK-7 module, and some sort of combo amp. But that all adds up to a lot more money, and a lot to carry (but with a hugely better sound to boot).

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion.

I need to clarify something. I won't be 'against' other instruments. I gave those instruments as examples of what the other guys use :) but when I play and sing, they will only 'tinker' a little, along with me. Does that change your view of the volume thing ?

I understand what you are saying about the fact that these seem to have been discontinued ... if you had specific back dated models that I could search for in my local eBay or other local online selling sites, that would be a great help :) I am in Ireland :) and I am sure people sell off their keyboards as they move on to better things or give it up altogether ;)

I have to walk a few miles to the gig so there is no way I can carry any more than a small mini keyboard, if that ..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just spinning a bit here, but how about an M-Audo Venom? It's only 49 keys so it might fit the size requirement. It has built in arpeggiators and sequencers so one finger chords won't be a problem. The only thing missing is the onboard speakers but a small keyboard amp or even a set of computer speakers would work just dandy.

Personally I seriously considered getting one of these but went instead with the Casio XW-P1 because it was more versatile and had an extra octave on the keyboard for the same money.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Venom.html

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the suggestion - sorry for delaying coming back ... the problem is having to lug all the stuff on my back for a few miles :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The way I see it, your real problem here is the impossible request of full sized keys and your size and weight constraints.

If you're willing to accept a Mini Keyboard then your options open up with stuff like a MicroKorg or a Yamaha Porta Sound or even a Casio SA76.

But you also require onboard speakers. No professional quality keyboard has built in speakers. And something like the SA76 would be instantly drowned out by the acoustic instruments even without amplification.

Would you consider possibly leaving a small keyboard amp at the gig and using headphones at home to practice? That would cut your load in half.

Then if you used mini keys you could easily tote something like this

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ollers/shs-10_portasound_keyboard/?mode=model

and just plug it in at the gig.

Or if you insist on built in speakers you could go with this

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...yboards/portable_keyboards/pss-15/?mode=model

or this

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Mini_Keyboards/SA-76/accessories/

I actually own a SA76 and use it for ear training when I'm relaxing on the couch. It's honestly not much more than a toy though, and the sounds are pretty cheesy. And again it uses mini keys instead of full sized.

Could you clarify exactly what items on your wish list are dealbreakers? It might make the search a bit easier. Exact dimensions? Exact weight? Is weight more important than size? Would a stationary amp at the gig make it easier for you? Are full sized keys a dealbreaker?

If full sized keys are a dealbreaker for you then pretty much the only thing you could go for is a small MIDI controller plugged into a laptop running a VST software and plugged into a good set of computer speakers causing you to haul around yet more gear.

Anyway, try and outline your needs to something realistic. Full sized keys and X number of octaves and Y maximum length, or mini keys and Z number of octaves? Remember a full sized key is 3/4" wide and the number of white keys per octave is 7. You can't elude the laws of mathematics when defining your parameters.

Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Again thank you for taking so much time to help me in my quest. I greatly appreciate it.
One thing I was wrong to insist on was full sized keys - I have tried one of the Khorgs (or similar) controller which seems to have what I would call three quarter keys and they are fine, very piano like.

The way I see it, your real problem here is the impossible request of full sized keys and your size and weight constraints.

It would seem you are absolutely right there Gary. Of course I had hoped I would find such a product, but after discussing here and elsewhere and searching music shops and stuff ... I am frustrated.

If you're willing to accept a Mini Keyboard then your options open up with stuff like a MicroKorg or a Yamaha Porta Sound or even a Casio SA76.
I have looked at a few and some do seem partly-suitable.

But you also require onboard speakers. No professional quality keyboard has built in speakers. And something like the SA76 would be instantly drowned out by the acoustic instruments even without amplification.
Would you consider possibly leaving a small keyboard amp at the gig and using headphones at home to practice? That would cut your load in half.
You are right about the sound.

I am looking at a mini amp right now. Not sure what the brand is but it is bright orange and very small. The shop couldn't get it working when I was there on Saturday but I am going back on Monday to see if they have fixed it. It's about 4" by 4".

Then if you used mini keys you could easily tote something like this
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ollers/shs-10_portasound_keyboard/?mode=model
and just plug it in at the gig.
Wow that looks crazy but maybe it would work. Could I put it on my lap and play it like a small keyboard without holding it like a guitar ? do you think ?

I actually own a SA76 and use it for ear training when I'm relaxing on the couch. It's honestly not much more than a toy though, and the sounds are pretty cheesy. And again it uses mini keys instead of full sized.
I don't have to have earth shattering sound effects but that sounds like this one is not a good choice.

Could you clarify exactly what items on your wish list are dealbreakers? It might make the search a bit easier. Exact dimensions? Exact weight? Is weight more important than size? Would a stationary amp at the gig make it easier for you? Are full sized keys a deal breaker?
Well Gary the 60cm width is my target. 80cm would be the limit because of the dimensions of where I play. Three quarter keys would be ok. Hopefully impact sensitive and not those awful organ type keys :) I can't guess the weight right now but will try to find out later.
On the amp side I am looking at the possibility of leaving one at the gig. The problem is NO ONE uses electric instruments or ever has at this gig so I am nervous about it. But this orange one might be a possibility.

Anyway, try and outline your needs to something realistic. Full sized keys and X number of octaves and Y maximum length, or mini keys and Z number of octaves? Remember a full sized key is 3/4" wide and the number of white keys per octave is 7. You can't elude the laws of mathematics when defining your parameters.
hahaha you are right :)

I know my wishes are limited by what is available. If I get a reasonable solution I can start learning chords and hopefully be able to play in a couple of months. Once I have confidence that I can play a few songs I am guessing I would be more confident about appearing with an e-instrument :)

Thanks again - I hope my responses are helpful in triggering some ideas :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, now we're cooking with gas. Your parameters essentially leave you two choices.

Either the Korg Microstation (Street price 299 UK Pounds if you shop around) but I present the Amazon listing because you are in the UK. It will provide you with mindblowing sounds from the Korg Triton family plugged into the right amp you will swear the church organs are in the middle of Westminster Cathedral ;) One minor snag. it's 94 cm wide, but it weighs in at 4.1 Kg. This is your ideal choice if you can make it fit. All the reviews on this one are rave reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-microStation-61-Key-Synthesizer-Sequencer/dp/B003J7FJ98

OR the Microkorg XL. Only 64 cm wide and 3.2 Kg. This however, is more of an analog modeling synth than a ROM based wavetable generator. This means that your sounds are better suited to German Style Synth Pop than your basic Irish Rovers tunes. No super realistic organs or pianos or horns in this one, but rather sounding more reminiscent of 80's style FM synths like the Yamaha DX7 with electronic sounding patches approximating acoustic instruments.

I actually owned one of these once and while it meets your size criteria, I sold mine because I quickly became bored with limited range and tiny keyboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Korg-MICROK...nthesizer/dp/B001MQUZJ2/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_2

Both have velocity sensitive synth action keyboards as per your request and neither one would make a professional keyboardist blush in shame at a gig. Both have arpeggiators built in and both require an external amp. That little pygmy amp you were looking at would work just fine in a small room.

Seriously though, if I had any choice in the matter I'd Punch a hole in the wall and MAKE the MICROSTATION fit. That's the best you're going to find anywhere for playing a small room . Plug in your amp and you're good to go. At home practice with headphones or buy a spare amp.

EVERYTHING ELSE you look at in that size range with built in speakers, realistically speaking, is a toy for teaching pre-schoolers how to bang on a keyboard :)

I hope this helps. The microstation really is your best bet...

Gary

Reaction score
Brilliant post Gary - I'll ruminate on that for a few days :)

Terrific :D

(Ireland by the way ..)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Brilliant post Gary - I'll ruminate on that for a few days :)

Terrific :D

(Ireland by the way ..)

One more possibility to muddy the waters. The Korg Microarranger for a street price of 480 UK Pounds. Pretty much the same form factor, size (88 cm Wide) and weight (4.2 Kg) but with the speakers built in.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/professional_arranger/microarranger/pa_microarranger.php

http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/korg-...nger.ir?cName=pianos-keyboards-home-keyboards

Also since it's an arranger style keyboard it has more rhythms and styles built in. Plus one finger chords!

Then again I dunno if it's worth the 60% jump in price just for a set of 5 Watt speakers.

Anyway, if it's inside your budget it will be worth checking out. It's the closest thing yet to your request.

Gary

Reaction score
Amazing Gary. Bloody amazing.

I am trying to get the Microstation for a good price right now. But if I can learn to play well enough to accompany myself that arranger would be an amazing acquisition...

Tks again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You actually require less talent to play an arranger style keyboard than a workstation. That's because not only does it have an arpeggiator and splits and layers built in, but it also has full "band in a box" style accompaniment styles and rhythms built in. Plus like I said, this particular model claims to be able to handle one finger chords as well.

Actually either keyboard will make you sound like a pro, but before you make any final suggestions I'd suggest searching on youtube for demos of both models and see and hear for yourself which one will suit your playing style and abilities better.

At any rate, from what I've seen on the web neither Casio nor Yamaha offers anything comparable these days so your final choice will pretty much boil down to one of these two.

If your budget can afford both of them then PLEASE adopt me :D :D :D

Regards,
Gary

Ask a Question