For touring purposes...

Reaction score
I don't even know where to start.

I have my usual set up (two keys), but I'm aware that if I were to tour in the States or abroad, it would be more efficient to purchase either a rack module or a Soft Synth package and just get a keyboard from the coordinator. And there's my dilemma.

I'm an extreme newbie to Soft Synths although the vast amount of libraries available intrigue me. Having said that, I don't know what I should get that:
  • has a reasonably short learning curve;
  • Do I really need a lap top?
  • What's most reliable?
  • I'll have two keyboards, can I assign separate things to both keys using one rack mount/soft synth?
Like I said, I have NO idea where to start since I'm a nuts and bolts keyboard player and new to this whole 21st Century thing. LOL

All advice is greatly appreciated.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Yep you need a laptop for softs, and I'd much rather prefer a rack unit - less things to go wrong ("hard wired") and usually more robust.

Not quite sure what you meant by the assigning separate things....

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think he's referring to splits and layers and controlling one module from two keyboard controllers.

Those things will depend on which particular module he gets.

He should be able to do splits and layers without too much trouble with a good multitimbral module.

As for controlling separate voices on a module with two keyboards, you will have to assign each controller to a separate MIDI channel and again use the multitimbral voicing to control them separately.

Gary

Reaction score
Yes Happyrat, that's what I meant. Thanks. Thoughts on Muse Receptor?​

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Send a private IM to B3Maniac on this forum. He actually owns a Muse Receptor Pro and can give you the lowdown on this piece of gear.

One thing I have heard about the Receptor is that there's like a half second lag while it loads new patches into itself when you're switching from one to another. In a performance that could be a dealbreaker but I could be wrong.

Otherwise your choices in that price range would also include the Roland Integra 7, The Yamaha Motif XS Rack or the Ketron SD3 V2 or Audya 4.

All priced way out of my league but some judicious googling of reviews and youtube videos should help you make a decision.

It's a shame Korg still doesn't make a Kronos Rack. :( I'd be all over one of those in a heartbeat.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you haven't already guessed, count me in as another hardware rack person. I hate futzing around with screwy software programs and touchy software licenses and when it's all over and done with you know the resale value of a $700 soft synth? NADA! :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question