Formatting Flash Memory Expansion Card

Reaction score
I purchased a Tyros5-76 yesterday and received a FL1024M Yamaha Expansion Card. I thought it would be easy to format the card once I installed it. Not so much.

The following is Step 1 of Yamaha's response to my question. Keep in mind I own all Apple equipment, iMac, iPad, and iPhones. Sounds like I'm screwed. Is there any other way to format this card?? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Forry

Formatting the drive is done during the use of the Expansion Manager software, and isn't controlled by the T5 itself. Take a look at the following steps, formatting is covered during Step 1.

TYROS 5 PACK INSTALL GUIDE

***Before Continuing*** the Tyros 5 must have an expansion flash module installed.

STEP 1Transferring the Tyros 5 “Instrument Information” to the Yamaha Expansion Manager

1.Download and install Yamaha Expansion Manager on your PC (currently not available for Mac)

2.On the Tyros 5 connect a USB flash drive to the “USB to Device” connector.

3.Press the [FUNCTION] button then select “Utility.”

4.Use the [<Tab>] buttons to select "Owner."

5.Press button [E] for "Export Instrument Info."

6.Open the Yamaha Expansion Manager Application.

7.Connect the USB flash drive to the computer then click the “Install Target” button in the Yamaha Expansion Manager application.

8.Select “Import Instrument Info.”

9.In the browse display choose “Removable disk Drive” then click on “TYROS5_InstrumentInfo.n27.”

10.Click “Open” to import the instrument information.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Good luck with it! I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Reaction score
Looks like I have to upgrade the OS on my Mac to do this. What a pain! I know how upgrades go. This $300 expansion board is really causing some problems.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My first thought is, "You mean your Mac isn't already updated to the latest/greatest OS?"

And my second thought is, "Oh, right, I still have Win95 and WinXP computers I never updated to newer Windows versions!" (Although I do have a Windows 8.1 computer.)

Anyway, I hope you get everything sorted out without too much trouble.

Reaction score
Well I updated my Mac's OS to accept the Yamaha Expansion Manager. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Unfortunately when I plug in my USB to the Tyros and look at the Utility tab to see the Expansion Board so I can format it, the board does not show on the screen. HD1 and USB1 is the only items that are listed. This is getting a bit tiresome. I have a bad feeling that I just bought a $300 board for nothing.

Ask a Question