Formula 1 Season Starts Today!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First race is in Melbourne. Any of our Aussie friends attending?

I root for Team Mercedes all the way!!! :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Analysis of the race.

Boring

Boring

Dick

Boring

Boring

That sucks

Boring

Boring

Boring

Zzzzzzzzzz
Or in other words a typical F1 race, give me MotoGP everyday.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate.

To me the possibility of collisions between 100 Million Dollar vehicles at 300 mph is one of the greatest thrills in sports.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Not bothered about seeing collisions.

I would like to see racing, you know, driver angainst driver, car vs car.

Not overtaking by, ..... I can go faster through the pit lane than you can.

I have been to the British GP at Silverstone a few times, it is a great experience and to see how the cars go through the Maggots complex defies science.

In three GPs I saw the grand total of one overtake at the end of the Hangar Straight.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The GP track is just 30 minutes away from my place.
It cost millions of tax payers dollars every year to erect barricades and rip up our beautiful parkland to enable stupid racing cars to go around in circles for the sake of entertaining and to thrill the hoons and tossers.
It disrupts the normal lifesyles of normal everyday people. They shut down ajoining streets and thoroughfares to our city. I for one use that route (the GP track)which is converted to a race track which goes around the scenic albert park lake just on rhe edge of our city. It takes 4 weeks to set it up and 4 week to pull it all down. Total disruption.
As for the race. . Who gives a #$@&?:eek:
Not me. I must agree with Col. . . Boring!
Monday morning here now and I read that over 100,000 people attended over the past few days. I saw some TV shots and notice they are packed in like sardines. How could they enjoy that? Most of them are ratbag males getting pissed all day long.
Who won anyway? Who cares?
Give me my street back.
Soapbox ray.

Reaction score
Ray

You have my sympathy, I totally hate the street circuits even Monaco, its just not racing its processional.

I was in Vancouver many years ago just after an Indy race and the area was a no go zone.

I have been to Singapore on a stopover enroute home from visiting relatives in Perth and walked a fair bit of the route the F1 cars use, that must surely be terrible for the locals for the route was very busy with traffic, the pits are there all year round and that complex was all fenced off.

The F1 hybrid technology bears no relationship to road cars now or planned, with BMW and Merc supposedly abandoning hybrid tech.

On one occasion I went to Silverstone I paid £100 extra over and above the entrace fee for Paddock Terrace tickets, the fencing we were behind was so good all we could see of the track was a 100 yard section, we left and went to Club where we could see a large section of the track, not as though you know what is going on, the PA system was drowned out by the cars and after a few laps they are strung out it then becomes difficult to know who is who.

Reaction score
Years ago the Australian F1 GP used to be run in my home town of Adelaide.

I used to love it. Went every year with my friends - we had a grand time. There was a real party atmosphere around the track and plenty to see and do. The weekend was far more than just the race on Sunday. That said, saw some brilliant racing too - Ayrton Senna controlling a death defying spin in torrential rain coming into the last bend and still maintaining his lead, Keke Rosberg flying down the straight, sparks showering the track from the titanium skid plate underneath his Williams...I could go on.

I have plenty of great stories from those weekends. Good times.

These days I don't follow F1 anywhere near as closely as I did in my teens, but I do take a passing interest in the fortunes of Daniel Ricciardo in his Red Bull.

I didn't check the race yesterday as my son was playing in a football trial match, but I see your Mercedes team ran second, Gary. Not a bad start!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cowboy >>> I agree. When I used to live in Montreal the city came alive every June for the Canadian Grand Prix.

Nowadays though I have to admit I get a much better view of the races from the old idiot box.

My dad originally turned me on to F1 about 15 years ago and I've been following the teams and drivers to the best of my ability ever since :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ferrari
$180M

Merc
$171M

Red Bull
$161M

Mclaren
$97M
Hass
$19M

These were the posted estimates of the 2017 divi of the F1 pye.

Yep, things are definately going to change

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I remember reading about ten years back that the average F1 team spends about $500 Million per season and Ferrari doubles that amount to about a cool $billion.

You simply HAVE to respect that amount of coin going into the fastest land race in the world.

If not the money, then you at least have to respect the technology of the sport.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Do not agee about the technology.

The aero packages on the cars are only relative to the Super/Hyper exotic cars. Totally not to the likes of Ford, Chevvy, Audi or VW or any significant manufacturer and of zero value to the likes of the UTEs, Pickups and Vans.

Remember back in the 80’s Audi produced a car with a drag coefficient of only 0.3, fast forward to today and little has changed so no effective lead into the tech of road cars. Think boring cars think Renault so definately no impact in their road range from F1.

The hybrid tech of F1 engines again are not relative to road cars, the likes of BMW and Merc have dropped hybrid tech, the world is heading towards EVs.

It is the sports car and saloon car and endurance racing that effect the tech of road cars.

Reaction score
Do not agee about the technology.
I see your point here, but no matter whether or not you think F1 tech will end up in a road car, it's still BLOODY FANTASTIC! These cars are at the absolute cutting edge.

I'm not an expert on modern F1 tech, but these chaps who are obviously "tragics" suggest there's a fair bit of it that's found it's way to the showroom floor. I could have just parroted this article back in here, but I'll be honest and say these guys know way more about it than I do!

https://www.quora.com/Which-innovations-from-Formula-1-have-found-their-way-to-road-cars

True confession time Col, I've never lost my inner 6 year old. F1 cars look cool, they go fast, they're packed with amazing tech and they're driven by handsome daredevils who live an amazing lifestyle. All ok by me!

Hey, I still get excited when the buttons light up in a red wave pattern on my KingKorg when I turn it on. Small things amuse small minds.

Reaction score
Agree, I may whinge (I am a POME after all) but I still find F1 fascinating.

I have driven a Porsche 911 C4GTS as fast as I can around a track, its a stunning car all round, its engine performance, handling, the electronics have had zero input from F1 remember Porsche do not support F1 but Le Mans, Carrera Cup, endurance racing etc is another matter.

Audi revolutionised Ralling with their Quattro and its the rally teams that provided the development of sequential gearboxes to the level we see now.

The double clutch mechanisms that gearboxes use date back to the 1930’s and F1 latched onto a good thing. It was developed by British company AP, then others like VW joined in and again F1 followed, they did not lead.

It is the endurance series like Le Mans that has developed the KERS system, not F1, again its Porsche and Toyota that are the world leaders.

Reaction score
Audi revolutionised..

As I said in my previous post mate, I don't know enough about this stuff to debate you on it so I'll assume everything you say is 100% correct.

Nonetheless I find F1 fun, exciting, hi-tech, dangerous and glamorous. I don't follow it closely these days, but my respect for the sport and all those who participate is undiminished from the heady days of my youth.

Reaction score
Friday 08:00 hours BST at Bahrain course the FIA are scheduled to present to the teams Liberty Media’s proposals for F1 post 2020.

So expect a lot of postulation and dummy throwing by the big teams shortly thereafter.

Hamilton, whose contract expires this year has already intimated that he will consider his future in F1 when more details of the meeting are known, which I take as,
.......if it is going to be harder for me to win then my dummy is airborne.

Ask a Question