FP-90X 3rd party sustain pedals

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I recently bought a fantastic new FP-90X, and immediately after bringing it home, I connected it to the wall. Because I was lazy, instead of the enclosed DP-10 damper pedal, I plugged in my old Yorksville AFP-7 (a very simple ON/OFF type pedal that uses mono jack vs. half-damper DP-10 with stereo jack). Then after a couple of days, I opened the keyboard's users manual and found a note about them not recommending using any off-brand pedals (because of the "risk causing malfunction and/or damage to the unit").
Have I ruined my piano, or is it OK? :)
And if it's OK, in what scenario, in Roland's opinion, an expression pedal can cause damage?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Typical marketing and legal baloney babble. :p

It literally is a standard connector, a hunk of wire and a momentary switch, but they want to terrify the novice into buying their brand.

The only scenario in which they could prove this is if you brought it in for service with the switch still attached.

Or if your internet stalker set out to destroy you and obtained footage of you installing the offending device and submitted it to Roland's claims dept. :D :D :D

Two options?? 50/50 Odds. :D :D :D

Do like da wise guys and don't spread it all over the internet. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you, Gary! I hope you won't tell Roland my little secret haha
What do you think about TRS vs TS connectors? DP-10 gives continuous readings (1-127 in MIDI readings) and more simple pedals are momentary switches (like the one that I used). I guess this is why they need TRS. Do you have any insights into it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
TS is used for simple sustain. TRS is used for multipole configurations like a pot in an expression pedal or a half damper switch.

Plugging a TRS pedal into a TS pedal socket won't work but it won't harm anything either. Same with vice versa.

PLUGGING ANY KIND OF PEDAL INTO AN OUTPUT SOCKET WILL CAUSE DAMAGE THOUGH.

TS and TRS Audio Line Outs are a different animal. Some gear will have balanced outs expecting TRS balanced cables. But it's perfectly OK to use a TS cable as well.

A balanced output is only useful with a balanced input, so if all of your gear is balanced ins and outs then you're fine spending extra for balanced cables, but otherwise for home use or even pro, good old TS cables will do.

I heartily recommend Hosa cables for your gear. Inexpensive and virtually indestructible.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question