Fun Undocumented Features & Bugs In Keyboards

Reaction score
I found a few fun curiosities about my Casio CTK-5000 keyboard, and thought it might be fun to see if anyone else has found some on their make/model of keyboard. This being an early-run CTK-5000 (it doesn't even use the AHL term for its tone system anywhere, but does use them), this one "bug" I found may not even exist in present models.

For an example:

If you select tone/voice
#153 STEEL GUITAR + STRUM NOISE M 1 (StlGt M1)
or
#154 STEEL GUITAR + STRUM NOISE M 2 (StlGt M2)

And strike the very lowest C or D keys, you'll get just a THUD-like sound. If you set the octave for the keyboard -1 or -2, then you can expand the THUD range. :)

Granted, this isn't a huge "bug" because these notes aren't on a guitar anyway, but I found it a fun/interesting omission of notes in 2 of their 670 tones. The only tone/voice I found to do this (so far).

I don't know if the following can be considered "undocumented" or just a creative use of documented settings. But lots of fun can be had with the arpeggiator, layering, and split settings.

Turn "Arpeggio Hold" to ON.
Press and HOLD SPLIT then hit the topmost/highest key. You want the whole keyboard (minus 1 key) to be on the lower-keyboard.
Select an arpeggio pattern.
Turn the Arpeggiator ON.
Strike a chord or keys you want to be in your arpeggio. Adjust the volume of your desired arpeggio by how fast you strike the last note.
Now press Split
You can play the whole keyboard while your chosen arpeggio is playing at its desired volume. Quickly press split to select new arpeggio notes, then hit it again to go back to full keyboard play to have the arpeggio accompaniment.

Further fun with this can be had by using the Layer key, to layer another voice along with the arpeggio, then when you hit the Layer key while playing, you can instantly turn another tone on or off in your arpeggio accompaniment. In effect, you can have 3 tones/voices playing this way. (more if you select mutlti-tone voices for each).

Note, this won't work if you have Accompaniment turned ON. But you can still use Accompaniment for chords and stuff if you set the arpeggio first and let it play, then turn Accompaniment on. But it locks in the last arpeggio playing until you turn Accompaniment off again.

Fun stuff!!

Have you found any?

Reaction score
Heh, cool. I just found 26 truly-undocumented percussion instruments in the Casio CTK-5000. In another post I was investigating/helping how the fingering numbers and voiced numbers were embedded in the built-in lesson songs. They are found in the top-most 5 keys of any percussion tone-set when the keyboard is at the default Octave-0 setting.

Anyway, I found that if you select any of the percussion tone-sets, then set the keyboard's Octave to -2 or +2, there's a whole mess of other percussion instruments that are hidden off either end of the Octave-0 keyboard.

Ask a Question