GAIA won't control JU-08a module

Reaction score
I'm trying to go MIDI-out from Roland GAIA SH-01 to my JU-06a module, to act as a MIDI controller. But instead of just "playing" the JU, the GAIA sends it's "sound" - the entire patch - to the JU, playing IT'S sound through the JU's patch. Needless to say, this sounds like garbled garbage.
HOW do I get the GAIA to just send KB/controller info, and not it's entire patch, down MIDI to the JU's MIDI-in?

Reaction score
Have you read your owner manuals on how to set them up for controller and module? Those topics should tell you how set-up the GAIA for " local", and how to set-up both units on same MIDI channel. Normally most folks can get by with one posting here, but four posts is unwarranted. I suggest that you read the manuals, follow their instructions, and use Google to solve problems/questions if any come-up. Good luck.

Reaction score
Midi does not send audio so the Gaia is not sending its "audio" through midi to the JU. This is technically impossible. Turn the master volume level on the Gaia on the face of the keyboard to zero and the Gaia sound will disappear (that's a guarantee). You need to turn "local off" on the Gaia for the patch you created that sends midi data to the JU, if not when you play a key on the gaia the sound will come out of the audio cable of the Gaia (for the keys you are pressing) as well as the audio cable of the JU. The other option is to turn the master volume on the Gaia to zero when you play that patch. MIDI 101....

Reaction score
Thanx to all for replies...
And YES b3maniac, I CAN read, I DO have the manuals, and have scoured them for anything that is even possibly relevant to this issue, without resolution, as well as spending DOZENS of hours on google, ytube, and forums looking for answers. Not even Rolands' tech support has come up with a resolution yet.
Delaware Dave - as you can tell, my understanding of MIDI is not near what most of you all have. I haven't the FAINTEST idea how the GAIA's patches are being transferred to the JU - there's no other connection but the MIDI cable, and the GAIA's audio ouput is muted at the board at it's own input, yet still seems to affect the sounds of the JU. I will try the volume control of the GAIA-to-zero.
Thanks again for you input -

Reaction score
Sorry for the long-winded thread, guys. I'm new at this. I guess I coulda tried the "volume" solution BEFORE replying to Delaware Dave.

The "GAIA volume-to-zero" effort did not resolve. There is NO audio output coming from the GAIA, yet it is feeding whatever patch IT is set to through the JU-06a. When I change patches on the GAIA, whatever it sends down MIDI to the JU changes too.

I am still waiting for Roland's Tech Support to offer a solution/setting as to why the GAIA would send all this info down the MIDI to the JU, instead of just the KB control.

Reaction score
When I change patches on the GAIA, whatever it sends down MIDI to the JU changes too.
What you just described is completely different than what you wrote yesterday which was "..the GAIA sends it's "sound" - the entire patch - to the JU, playing IT'S sound through the JU's patch..". Now you are reporting that there is NO audio output coming from the GAIA, instead you are now reporting that when you change patches on the GAIA that program change is also making changes to the JU (not sure when you say "all this info down the MIDI" what that actually means). It sounds to me that the Gaia is sending some program change messages that it is typically not supposed to send. Definitely a MIDI send parameters issue on the GAIA side but without being able to see the setup it is impossible for me to troubleshoot, especially since I don't own either board and therefore lack the familiarity to understand Gaia defaults or changes necessary. So as they say on Shark Tank .......... I'm out.

P.S. It is possible that the Gaia is activating and sending via MIDI a bunch of unintended controllers that now when you play the Gaia keyboard and touch certain controllers these are adjusting the JU sound module in an unintended way and impacting the sound module of the JU. Again, without understanding what MIDI data is going down the MIDI out path, it's impossible to know from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HI DDave - thanks again for your attention to this. I'm sorry if I'm not writing clear descriptions...as mentioned, I'm new at this. Both forums AND synths.

I didn't mean to write that the GAIA was sending it's AUDIO to the JU...what I meant (and don't know how to describe) is that whatever patch the GAIA is set on, those "parameters" - oscillators, noise, envelope settings, effects, all that - is going down the MIDI to the JU, not just the keys being played.
So if I play a pad patch on the JU from the GAIA's KB, instead of just getting the JU's sound/s, it's being modified by whatever patch is selected on the GAIA - and that changes whenever the patch on the GAIA is changed.
My understanding is that the GAIA acting as KB controller over the midi connection should simply act as a KB, attached to the JU modular...NOT be sending any of the parameters/settings from IT'S patch to the JU.

I'm going to investigate the MIDI issue you mentioned - that the GAIA might be sending "program change" messages to the JU. I'll see if I can find/disable that.

Anyway. Thanks again for your attention and suggestions!

Reaction score
I hereby bestow upon Delaware Dave the title of "Synth Wizard".

I found the MIDI config settings on the GAIA and modified "MIDI-TX: TX PROGRAM CHANGE" and set to 0 (off), and the GAIA now behaves perfectly as a MIDI controller - ONLY - to the JU.

And while I have spent something like 30+ hours in the last week & 1/2 researching and looking for answers, or at least more MIDI knowledge - I KNEW that the fix to this little problem was going to be one little setting that would take 30 seconds to change.

And so it was. THANKS again DD, for planting the idea.
And NO, b3maniac, this solution WAS NOT IN THE MANUAL - even Roland tech support was not able to provide this solution.

And now the music can go on. Thanks again to all for help.

Reaction score
Thanx DDave - I couldn't be more excited. After many years of guitar/singing, I'm exploring a new area (KB/synths). It's been really fun so far - learning a lot - but staggered by being a raw beginner again. Very humbling!

PS popped over to DB.com - excellent outfit. First vid that appeared was Dreams - one of my favorite ever S/R jams. First time I ever got to see a butt-kickin' 3-guitar attack live. Never forget it.

Ask a Question