G'day All

Reaction score
G'day All,

Just joined this forum a week ago after watching it for a while. Really have enjoyed the friendly and helpful attitude of all the regular posters, and decided that this was the forum for me!

A quick bio - I've been playing keys for 20+ years in bands since my late teens after starting out as a very small lad learning classical piano. There's nothing better than chatting to other musos about how they do what they do, and one of my great joys is bailing up other keyboard players when we play gigs with other bands and discussing our mutual passion! I reckon we're the misunderstood workhorses of the music community :)

Hoping I can learn plenty from you all plus hopefully add a bit of value by sharing some of the small bits of knowledge I've picked up along the journey too.

Cheers,

Paul

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
We seem to have met already as ships which pass in the night, but welcome aboard Paul.

I have enormous respect for professional gigging musicians and am myself but a humble amateur, self taught in my twilight years after spending a few decades in the computer and electronics industry.

I've always been an enormous fan of synthesizers and keyboards though, ever since I first heard Dick Hyman play The Minotaur on the very first Moog recording.

http://grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=dick+hyman+the+minotaur

I didn't have a lot of spare cash to indulge my passion as a kid though so nowadays I tend to overcompensate by collecting gear like a junkyard dog collects fleas. :)

Mostly I compose original tunes which, while not everyone's cup of tea make ME happy and to me that's what music is all about, bringing happiness to your inner child.

Looking forward to some interesting posts from your perspective and hearing the tales of the best and worst gigs you've ever played.

Talk to ya soon ;)

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your warm welcome Gary,

I should clarify that I'm only semi-professional and still need my good ol' day job to fund my passion for music! As you've mentioned the best thing about getting older is being able to afford much nicer gear.

Speaking of which, you've got some fantastic gear and a great home studio set up - I'll be sure to check out your tunes that you've posted on this forum.

Great chatting and I'm sure we'll cross paths plenty on this site. I've noticed you are very generous with your knowledge and support for all posters on this forum, which I'm sure is appreciated by all.

Cheers mate,

Paul

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hehehehehehe...

In the immortal words of George W. Bush (Or was it Gary Busey?)

"EVERYONE is entitled to MY opinion!!!" :D :D :D

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome. Grooveshark is a fantastic site for whenever you are looking for some obscure or ancient tune you haven't heard in decades. You can search by artist, title, album or even a lyric.

The RIAA has been trying unsuccessfully to shut them down for over a decade but I think now they have some sort of licensing arrangement.

Anyway, the Minotaur was a very popular tune in Montreal in the late 60's and 70's because a local newsmagazine TV program used it as their theme for well over a decade.

The first time I heard it though, I was about 12 years old and a wealthy friend of mine had an antique Wurlitzer jukebox in his basement rec room with Hyman's Moog album on it. ;)

We must have played that platter at least a hundred times that summer :)

Hyman's true vocation though, if you've done any further research, was mainly as a jazz pianist.

Some other classic stuff to listen to on Grooveshark is Walter/Wendy Carlos' Switched On Bach and Switched on Brandenburgs.

While I own Switched on Bach Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 on CD it is almost impossible to find the Brandenburgs or the Hyman Moog Electric Eclectics on sale anywhere for less than a few hundred dollars a pop.

I consider myself to be a serious collector but I refuse to pay that kind of money for a CD.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just lucked out and picked up the last copy of the Brandenburgs from an Amazon Importer for under $35!!!!!!!

Now the search continues for Hyman's Moog Eclectic Electrics though. :(

Still selling for over a $100 for a used copy.

Right now I'm listening to the Brandenburgs on Grooveshark. I'm gonna have some fun and jam with Walter/Wendy ;)

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a few of Walter's records on vinyl, from before he became Wendy-- Sonic Seasonings, Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange (I also have the official soundtrack album, but had to get Walter's version as well so I'd have the complete Timesteps), Switched-On Bach II, and By Request. I even have the sheet music book to A Clockwork Orange, published by Charles Hansen Music and Books-- Walter Carlos presents the Music Highlights from A Clockwork Orange, which includes the "mini-pocket-score" (four sheets to a page) for Timesteps, written in Walter's own hand. (I say "Walter" for work done under that name, and "Wendy" for work done under that name.)

It bugs me that CDs of Walter/Wendy are so outrageously expensive. I really wish Wendy would work with Columbia, CBS, East Side Digital, and any other relevant labels to get her work re-released.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Y-man,

I did live in Mackay once upon a time. I remember that phase of my life very fondly and I still support the struggling NQ Cowboys in the NRL - so I thought it would be a good nick.

Adelaide boy born and bred however, and I live there again now after an 11 year jaunt around the country.

Cheers,

Paul

The Y_man

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Y-man,

I did live in Mackay once upon a time. I remember that phase of my life very fondly and I still support the struggling NQ Cowboys in the NRL - so I thought it would be a good nick.

Adelaide boy born and bred however, and I live there again now after an 11 year jaunt around the country.

Cheers,

Paul

Cool.

My now-Mrs was living in Adl when we met - so spent a bit of time down Camden Park way.
Also have friend in the Hills.

The Y-man

Ask a Question