General

Reaction score
Currently gig with a Nord C2D combo organ. Considering replacing it with the Hammond XK5 - one manual. Anyone tried Or got the new Hammond? I hear it's got a great keyboard and much improved sound and Leaslie emulation.Not unhappy with the Nord but a bit bulky and due for an update. Just use it for the Hammond B3 sounds.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums ! I can't comment on the XK5, but I'm ruined by having played a real B3 in my younger years. A bad back and old age now means that I have to go light weight or stay at home. Recently I installed the Hammond B3X on an Ipad and was surprised at how good it is. I ran the Ipad output through a Neo Ventilator leslie sim and this app sounds realistic. I gig with 2 keyboards, with MOXF6 on top, and am seriously considering incorporating the Ipad into my set-up to cover all Hammond parts. You might check out the app and save some money and weight. YMMV Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
The XK5 is a serious upgrade form the C2D. The leslie sim on the XK5 is good, but not great (but better than the C2D); everything else is excellent. The keybed is sweet. You could start with the XK5 and down the road add the lower manual if you feel the need for a lower manual. I have tried one an through a real leslie (122A) it sounded as close to my B3/122 of anything that I have heard.

The other model you might want to explore is the UHL X3-1. New concept organ, it doesn't use software, it is a hardware solution using FPGA ( Field Programmable Gate Arrays) technology. The latency is very very low and the sound is spot on.

Listen to this, it is the HX3 sound module running through a Jupiter keyboard. The HX3 sound module is the guts of the UHL keyboard:

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums ! I can't comment on the XK5, but I'm ruined by having played a real B3 in my younger years. A bad back and old age now means that I have to go light weight or stay at home. Recently I installed the Hammond B3X on an Ipad and was surprised at how good it is. I ran the Ipad output through a Neo Ventilator leslie sim and this app sounds realistic. I gig with 2 keyboards, with MOXF6 on top, and am seriously considering incorporating the Ipad into my set-up to cover all Hammond parts. You might check out the app and save some money and weight. YMMV Don aka B3maniac

Thanks - good thought. I've read the keyboard feel and bounce back on the keys are almost the same as a real B3, so I'm interested as much in the playability of the key bed.

Reaction score
Sounds
The XK5 is a serious upgrade form the C2D. The leslie sim on the XK5 is good, but not great (but better than the C2D); everything else is excellent. The keybed is sweet. You could start with the XK5 and down the road add the lower manual if you feel the need for a lower manual. I have tried one an through a real leslie (122A) it sounded as close to my B3/122 of anything that I have heard.

The other model you might want to explore is the UHL X3-1. New concept organ, it doesn't use software, it is a hardware solution using FPGA ( Field Programmable Gate Arrays) technology. The latency is very very low and the sound is spot on.

Listen to this, it is the HX3 sound module running through a Jupiter keyboard. The HX3 sound module is the guts of the UHL keyboard:

Sounds darn good - guess the keyboard bed feel of the Roland Jupiter will be different from the XK 5 in terms of feeling like a B3. Managed to find a dealer to play one tomorrow along side my C2D and do a side by side comparison through my KC 400 keyboard amp. Will let the Forum know.

Reaction score
Don't buy anything until you check out a Crumar Mojo 61 -- the sounds and Leslie simulation will blow the others away.

Old No7

Reaction score
Thanks - will bear it in mind. Did a side by side comparison with my Nord C2 and the XK5 through my Roland amp. One manual not enough to suit my playing style. Keys themselves on the small side (shorter) in comparison to the Nord and the SKX. Sounds good, but not enough to warrant the hefty price tag. The sublties of key clicks and enhanced keybed would be lost in a band environment. Will stick with my Nord for the time being.

Ask a Question