German D Grand exp in PC3X?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing the German D Grand expansion into the older PC3 series? I know Kurzweil says it’s not compatible, but why suddenly a PC3X can load Kore 64 and not German Grand? I don’t think the old series differ that much from PC3K. It doesn’t make any sense, it just leaves PC3X with one empty exp slot.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The German Grand Expansion doesn't use the Kore64 slot.

You have to remove the Sample Memory DIMMs on a PC3K to be able to use it.

AFAIK the PC3X doesn't have the ability to load samples.

Anyway, even if you could somehow shoehorn a German Grand stick into it you still wouldn't be able to load in the Operating System patch because there isn't one for the PC3X.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well true, PC3X doesn’t have the possibility to load user samples. But isn’t Kore 64 also sample based? I mean it’s still a memory DIMM so I assume German Grand would work similarly. Regarding the OS patch I guess in that case building a patch from scratch could work. But maybe I’m just overthinking this :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Kore64 is a ROM.

The Sample memory is addressable as RAM.

They are incompatible chips.

You can't just stick a RAM DIMM into a Kore slot and expect it to work.

Trust me. The technologies are incompatible.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ah, see I thought everything that’s internal, built in is treated as ROM and the stuff we put into the machine would be RAM. Always learning something new, thanks for clarification :)

Ask a Question