Getting the best sound out of your keyboard

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here. I recently made the switch from pianos and vintage keys like the Rhodes and Wurlie to a modern-day keyboard, the Korg SV-1. The grand pianos on the SV-1 sound amazing through a nice set of headphones. But when I play through my crappy PA (or through my Fender Twin which I used with my Rhodes and Wurlie), the sound is not what it should be.

My question is this: how do I get that killer sound I hear on the headphones when playing a live gig? Do I need to buy a stereo keyboard amp like a Traynor or Motion Sound? Or can I assume that the nicer PA at a venue will sound a lot better?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Joel

Reaction score
Hi,

You need a stereo amp (or a couple of monos, as long as they're the same model). Most synths have different sounds on left and right channels (and dress 'em up in different effects) so if you use a mono line you basically lose half your sound.

Alternatively you can try getting a small mixer and sending both channels through it in mono. It won't sound quite as good, but it's times cheaper than a new amp(s). A small DJ-esque 4-track should do just fine (I use a Phonic mm1002s and it's great).

Reaction score
I always recommend a simple, yet very good, alternative

Get a good set of 2.1 PC speakers. They are cheaper then dedicated keyboard
amps AND they sound great since most of the keyboard amps (especialy the cheaper ones - have a single box, meaning the sound comes from one place - not 2 like you get from PC speakers).

Just grab a set of 100$ logitech 2.1 speakers. :)

Reaction score
I always recommend a simple, yet very good, alternative

Get a good set of 2.1 PC speakers. They are cheaper then dedicated keyboard
amps AND they sound great since most of the keyboard amps (especialy the cheaper ones - have a single box, meaning the sound comes from one place - not 2 like you get from PC speakers).

Just grab a set of 100$ logitech 2.1 speakers. :)

What he said.

Ask a Question