Gigging keyboard - the compromise between weight and action

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got the following 2 keyboards which both have their "pros" and "cons":

1. Roland RD 300 SX - decent action BUT it's heavy (34lb)
  2. Evolution MK461c - lightweight (11b) but not that satisfying to play (no action)

So can anyone recommend a compromise keyboard between the two? Ultimately I'd like it to be:

• below 20lb weight,
  • usable as MIDI controller AND standalone keyboard - in case I can't be bothered to set up my laptop ;) - in which case basic piano sounds would suffice
  • have as decent action as possible (semi-weighted maybe?)
  • I don't mind if it's 88 or 61 keys

Thanks very much in advance

Reaction score
If your main problem about the weight of the Roland is when transporting your keyboard to/from band rehearsals, you could leave the Roland at the rehearsal place, and buy an M3 to have at home. Since the M3 has a detachable module, you will only need to move the module around, instead of the whole keyboard.

If the problem is when transporting it to giggs and such, then that would obviously not work, though... I'm afraid I don't have knowledge enough to know which keyboard that would fit your needs... The only one I could think of is the Korg M50, but it hasn't been released yet...

But if you could give us a small briefing about your budget, there are better chances that we find something that you could actually afford buying :p

EDIT: Whoops, just read the title of the thread again... "Gigging keyboard"... Then I believe my hint wasn't really that usefull :(

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got the following 2 keyboards which both have their "pros" and "cons":

1. Roland RD 300 SX - decent action BUT it's heavy (34lb)
  2. Evolution MK461c - lightweight (11b) but not that satisfying to play (no action)
So can anyone recommend a compromise keyboard between the two? Ultimately I'd like it to be:

• below 20lb weight,
  • usable as MIDI controller AND standalone keyboard - in case I can't be bothered to set up my laptop ;) - in which case basic piano sounds would suffice
  • have as decent action as possible (semi-weighted maybe?)
  • I don't mind if it's 88 or 61 keys
Thanks very much in advance

Sorry dude - you will not find a keyboard under 20lbs. w/even "decent" action... the RD300SX is already lightweight at 34lbs. and personally I'm not thrilled w/the action on it - seems "mushy" to me... whenever they make these 'boards lighter it seems that they crap up the action - it'd be nice to see a 35lbs. or less keyboard with fantastic action, but it's never going to happen. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the Roland RD700GX or the Yamaha S90ES or the Kurzweil PC3X - all 88 key machines w/fantastic sounds but all are over 50lbs. unfortunately... it's just the way it is. :(

Reaction score
I also own the RD-300sx (wish I had held out until the gx though, action is better...)... anyway, 33 pounds is heavy to you? Before this keyboard the few gigs I had I borrowed my friend's s90 (50 something pounds)... so 33 pounds is a dream for me... also if you really want you can get a hand truck http://www.handtrucksrus.com/ (can also get them at wal-mart).

That being said, if you still want some decent action with light weight... M-audio would be the way to go I think. M-audio ProKeys 88sx (17 pounds, semi-weighted action, built-in sounds that are ok) and can act as a controller. Or if you purely want a controller, the M-audio Keystation 88es (20 pounds, semi-weighted action, no built-in sounds, $200 instead of $400). My piano teacher uses M-audio midi-controller with a Yamaha Motif rack (the Motif XS rack goes for about $1300, though you might be able to get some leftover Motif ES racks for about $800 as they were recently discontinued... limited to stock on hand though).

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
;)
I also own the RD-300sx (wish I had held out until the gx though, action is better...)... anyway, 33 pounds is heavy to you? Before this keyboard the few gigs I had I borrowed my friend's s90 (50 something pounds)... so 33 pounds is a dream for me... also if you really want you can get a hand truck http://www.handtrucksrus.com/ (can also get them at wal-mart).

That being said, if you still want some decent action with light weight... M-audio would be the way to go I think. M-audio ProKeys 88sx (17 pounds, semi-weighted action, built-in sounds that are ok) and can act as a controller. Or if you purely want a controller, the M-audio Keystation 88es (20 pounds, semi-weighted action, no built-in sounds, $200 instead of $400). My piano teacher uses M-audio midi-controller with a Yamaha Motif rack (the Motif XS rack goes for about $1300, though you might be able to get some leftover Motif ES racks for about $800 as they were recently discontinued... limited to stock on hand though).

Hope that helps.

Ha - that's funny: I'm jonesing for an S90ES, even though it's big and heavy and I will dread carrying it up and down my bsmt. stairs, where my gear is... but I also tried the Roland RD300SX and found the action to be nasty - the 300GX action is way better. I just don't know if the 300GX will have enough variety of sounds in it for me... I do use two 'boards on my gigs (I bring a Triton Le for the "synthy" stuff) - but I want both of them to be as versatile as possible. :cool:

I'm in the market for a new 88key 'board to replace my almost 14 yr. old Ensoniq KS32 76 key weighted action... in recent 3 or 4 years I've actually only used it occasionally (on bar gigs, 'cause it has decent rock organs) - replacing it w/my Roland FP2, which only bought to use for wedding gig cocktail hours but realized it could get by for the whole reception gig as well, even though the sounds are limited and semi-mediocre. It is lightweight though (32lbs. and does have built-in speakers).

I've tried those M-Audio controllers at Gtr. Ctr. - the action just doesn't thrill me and the lighter the model is, the worse the action gets, which makes sense: the keyboard models (of any brand: Roland, Yamaha, M-Audio, Kurzweil, etc...) w/the substantial, "meaty" actions are just heavier, you can't get around that. :eek:

Also - as far as "handtrucks" - the best thing on the market is the "Rock'n'Roller Cart" - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Rock_N_Roller
I got the biggest one they have, the R12 - not cheap, at $229.99... but it's awesome - big fat pneumatic tires, sturdy... I had to roll my gear across a big yard to do an outdoor backyard wedding last month, it worked perfectly. Even the smaller ones are decent but I have heavy stuff so the R12 w/the pneumatic (inflatable) tires was the way to go for me... w/a few bungie cords I strap it all down and in two trips (one trip w/the 88key FP2, rolling it in a case w/wheels since it is a little too long for the R12, one trip w/everything else on the R12) - I can get my gear in!

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of those rock'n'roller carts, but other people have posted that keyboards can slide off and whatnot due to the slick surface?

Anyway as for the sx if I didn't have a keyboard now I wouldn't buy it... either the GX or likely a Nord Stage (for me it'd suit my needs, as it stands I'm likely gonna buy an electro and a synth, lead rack or something).

The m-audio controller (I tried it at a store) is weighted enough to feel okay, but it's not really like a piano action. I try and avoid piano sounds though... it's too difficult an instrument to sample IMO... and I doubht they ever will get it right.

Anyway another option for you in terms of light would be a Nord keyboard. Depending on your needs or budget... a Nord Stage compact is nice, organ-style action (light action, not really weighted), and the Nord Electro, which is much cheaper, same action, nice sounds, and light. They aren't 88 keys though. Also they aren't a piano action (won't get that without the weight) but a friend of mine uses it and likes the action.

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of those rock'n'roller carts, but other people have posted that keyboards can slide off and whatnot due to the slick surface?

Anyway as for the sx if I didn't have a keyboard now I wouldn't buy it... either the GX or likely a Nord Stage (for me it'd suit my needs, as it stands I'm likely gonna buy an electro and a synth, lead rack or something).

The m-audio controller (I tried it at a store) is weighted enough to feel okay, but it's not really like a piano action. I try and avoid piano sounds though... it's too difficult an instrument to sample IMO... and I doubht they ever will get it right.

Anyway another option for you in terms of light would be a Nord keyboard. Depending on your needs or budget... a Nord Stage compact is nice, organ-style action (light action, not really weighted), and the Nord Electro, which is much cheaper, same action, nice sounds, and light. They aren't 88 keys though. Also they aren't a piano action (won't get that without the weight) but a friend of mine uses it and likes the action.

People actually paid the premium price for the "Rock'n'Roller" cart and then were too stupid to use bungee cords to keep stuff from falling off... :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: - - d'oh!

It actually does come w/nice sticky tape on the slippery rails, which is taped down and the "up" side (onto which you put your gear) has the sandpapery-rough surface, which is good for keeping stuff from sliding - that and bungee cords of course... I've had the cart for a few years now and that tape is starting to go but I'll write to the company and ask 'em if they'll send me more - they sent me replacement wheels for free when I called and said that the air stems were too long and that they were rubbing and getting cut. :cool:

Nords have great sounds - esp. the organs and electric pianos - but their acoustic pianos aren't so hot... plus no strings, brass, etc... I play in a wedding band (in addition to bar gigs and other freelance dates) - so I need a bigger variety of sounds.

Reaction score
big doubt

Hi, out there from Spain.
I have got one doubt, as anyone, but it is just about the editing.
I would like to know which one you consider easy to work with to compose and edit the kurzweil PC3x or the K vs the motif xs8.
At this moment the price of the kurzweil here is half the price of the motif so I was quite convinced after checking many forums but I have read everywhere that the kurzweil is very difficult to make it go.
To those one who have expirience with both could you tell me if there is a big difference. And to those one who own the kurz, could you tell me if you thing is so difficult as they say.
thank you. Please give me a hand

Ask a Question