Go Digital

Reaction score
Having been taught traditionally from a child I eventually graduated to dance band and jazz music in the 50s when I used to buy popular music in Woolworths.
I now have a house full of sheet music, albums and arrangements so I would be very pleased to find copies of sort after tunes for anyone else.
However 15 yrs ago I heard about digital sheet music and I have now embraced it fully. I now convert every source of printed music to a PDF file on my PC.
I then send it to my 'dropbox' programme so that I can download it to my portable tablet. Now at 85, with mobility problems, when I go to play I need only carry my lightweight Yamaha NP.V80 keyboard and my chosen tablet and I have 1000s of copied of indexed sheet music in performance sets to hand.

In the UK we are slow to react to this digital revolution whereas in USA and Asia it is widespread. Imagine an orchestra arriving to rehearsal, switching on their iPads and having all the music in pre-arranged order ready to play and the conductor when he makes a variation to the style, volume or tempo merely marks his copy and it immediately shows on everyone's music. Anyone wishing to know more about the methods used in this field please contact me - I consider I am now very proficient in this technic and would be pleased to explain it further.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Hello, Brian! Is there a particular app that you use to display sheet music on your tablet? Some are just designed to display sheet music, but others (such as Songbook+) are designed to send MIDI data to your keyboard when you select a particular page of music, so you can set up each song to select the desired sounds (voices/tones/patches) on your keyboard whenever you pull up that particular song.

Reaction score
One sheet music organising App that has been suggested by quite a few users on another musical forum is OnStage.

Looking at the reviews and tutorials it does seem quite comprehensive.

Only problem for me is size, I only have a little one in my iPad Mini.

Reaction score
Cirque du Soleil I've seen their setup and all the musicians have electronic music stands that has the music and the scores can be altered in real time to make adjustments to the music if something changes during the show. I see many classical players switch to iPad running ForScore app so they on need to carry their iPad with them not stacks of sheet music. Plus ForScore lets you create layers so you can many notes, changes, highlight sections, and etc and save them. Then if on gig just have the original unlayerd score appear. You can even get footpedal control for ForScore to flip pages for you. I have seen some YouTubes of classical (and other genres) using tablets with music in concert. Makes thing simple and lots of sources for electronic copies of scores these days or just take picture of your sheetmusic and the app will import that way.

Cool stuff.

Reaction score
Hello, Brian! Is there a particular app that you use to display sheet music on your tablet? Some are just designed to display sheet music, but others (such as Songbook+) are designed to send MIDI data to your keyboard when you select a particular page of music, so you can set up each song to select the desired sounds (voices/tones/patches) on your keyboard whenever you pull up that particular song.
Hi SeaGtGruff - yes I do use a specific programme it's called 'MobileSheetsPro' link = https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ I have a feeling I have already given this info before so I'll stop and allow you peruse the website but please don't hesitate to ask more if necessary.

Reaction score
One sheet music organising App that has been suggested by quite a few users on another musical forum is OnStage.

Looking at the reviews and tutorials it does seem quite comprehensive.

Only problem for me is size, I only have a little one in my iPad Mini.
Hi Biggles - I can't find any info on 'OnStage' is it perhaps peculiar to Apple or iPad?

Ask a Question