Going to buy my first keyboard.Need serious help.

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site...So i have fallen in love with piano and keyboards and all of it...So i want to get one and learn how to play but I know nothing about them. I know i want one that has 76 keys(61 seems too limited but im not sure) So 76 keys um I would like the keys to be touch responsive or have them be piano focused so they feel like real keys.It feel more professional to me imo. Ummm I dont wanna spend alot of money at all seeing as how it is going to be my first. Apart from that I cant think of anything else I really need...So digital keyboard,Piano type keys,76 of them or however lets me play songs without being limited,Maybe a grand piano function? And also not something that will send me into poverty(Ill save the expensive one for when I actually get good) Well thats pretty much it! Thank you guys! : D

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, keyboards with weighted piano-type keys are usually way more expensive than non-weighted ones. And most weighed keyboards have 88 keys, which makes it quite hard to find a 76-note weighted keyboard for a reasonable price. I did a little searching, and found these 2:

Kurzweil SP2
Clavia Nord Stage 76 EX

I guess both of them are a bit more expensive than what you wanted. So I checked if I could find some rather cheap 88-key boards. This is what I found:

Thomann SP-5100 B-Stock
M-Audio Prokeys 88 B-Stock
Yamaha P85

If your budget allows, I would probably suggest the Yamaha one for several reasons. First of all, the other 2 88-key ones I linked are customer-returns, which might be risky (however, you can always buy the M-Audio from another store, which might have a new one).
Secondly, Yamaha is the best brand on the market when it comes to piano sounds.
And third, it is the only one of those I linked with built-in speakers, which might actually save you some money, if you don't already have a pair of speakers, which I doubt :p

Hope it helped you out a little bit :)

Reaction score
Oh wow man! Thank you...You sure did look around me eh? I checked out that yamaha. I think i have realized if im going to get any keyboard it will be yamaha and also I was thinking...Maybe i shouldnt get weighted keys for my first keyboard. I went to yamahas website and I clicked on the piano focused ones and they seem to have "graded soft touch action" which is pretty much just resistance correct? I think that'll be good enough for my first one. So out of the keyboards on this page

Digital piano keyboards by Yamaha Corporation

can you recommend any? The dgx220 caught my eye a little bit. Thank you!

Reaction score
The Yamaha DGX-220 is actually the keyboard I use myself atm ^^, and would probably be the one I was going to recommend as well. The Piano and strings sounds are really good for it's price, and it's rather easily portable.

However, its keys are far from weighted, so that is up to you whether you could do without weighted or not. But it's a really price-worthy keyboard imo :)

Ask a Question