Good all around $400 keyboard for light live use? Korg i3 or other alternatives?

Reaction score
Hey there! I searched but couldn’t find specifically what I was looking for. So sorry if this answer is out there and I missed it.

Pretty standard request I’m sure but I’m a guitarist who’s looking for a decent $400 or so board to do some light keys work in a pop rock cover band. Thinking 61 keys that can transpose because we play in Eb, and I need a good array and great sounds but mainly need piano, some good synths and maybe some stacatto strings. I also want something that can save patches or presets so I can recall them quickly live. I don’t really want anything with built in speakers, mainly because I can’t use them, and also hoping the board will be a bit slimmer as a result too. I’m thinking maybe a used newer Korg i3? Seem to do what I need and more. Someone else suggested an Alesis QS6? What are you thoughts or recommends? Thanks much!!

Reaction score
It will help tremendously if you tell us in which Country you live.

I see a $ sign and automatically think of AUSTRALIA.

For 400 wherever dollars you are certainly not going to get much at all new but your Korg i3 here in the UK is about £400 and would be more or less OK.

A used Roland Juno DS or Korg Kross 2 would be better buys, both will do what you seek.

Checkout them via Rolands Youtube channel where you will find a Playlist of how to videos on using the DS

Korg do similar in their Youtube channel

Local classifieds would give you chance to try before you buy plus checkout local Music Stores as they may have trade ins or demo units.

Avoid the Alesis it has abysmal polythony so if you have piano and strings and play a lot of notes at the same time you may very well get note drop off, you do get what you pay for and this is a very cheap unit.

Reaction score
It will help tremendously if you tell us in which Country you live.

I see a $ sign and automatically think of AUSTRALIA.

For 400 wherever dollars you are certainly not going to get much at all new but your Korg i3 here in the UK is about £400 and would be more or less OK.

A used Roland Juno DS or Korg Kross 2 would be better buys, both will do what you seek.

Checkout them via Rolands Youtube channel where you will find a Playlist of how to videos on using the DS

Korg do similar in their Youtube channel

Local classifieds would give you chance to try before you buy plus checkout local Music Stores as they may have trade ins or demo units.

Avoid the Alesis it has abysmal polythony so if you have piano and strings and play a lot of notes at the same time you may very well get note drop off, you do get what you pay for and this is a very cheap unit.
Aah good call haha I’m in the US. And thanks much! Those are a far ways out of my budget in USD unfortunately. Is it really worth it that much to get the Juno DS or Kross 2? Looks like the Juno DS can be in the $550-$600 range plus shipping. Still a good chunk away from my budget but just still wondering if there’s anything out there for less that’s good

Reaction score
well, you could purchase a 61 key controller and run software from an ipad or android tablet. An
M-Audio controller can be had for about $300 USD. Spend the rest on software that you specifically need.

Ask a Question