Good Amps for Yamaha Keyboards?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Psr-E323 and I'm looking to find a small amp for it. Nothing to expensive either, but I'm not sure about the price range I should be looking at.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
To be honest I could probably spare up to $200-300. So I'm guessing I could probably get one of those cheaper specialty keyboard amps then?

As for the guitar amp: my question is does it really affect the sound much? Because if it didn't I might be able to scrape away with one of those.

The Y_man

Reaction score
To be honest I could probably spare up to $200-300. So I'm guessing I could probably get one of those cheaper specialty keyboard amps then?

As for the guitar amp: my question is does it really affect the sound much? Because if it didn't I might be able to scrape away with one of those.

Unless your guitar amp has an aux input, make sure you turn the output volume right down on your keyboard. The signal output from a guitar (even with big humbuckers) are nothing like what belting out of your keyboard line outs.

The Y-man

p.s. I have a Roland guitar amp too! Nowhere near as old as my keyboard amp though - infact only a couple of years old. :)

Reaction score
I mostly use headset for home, and live i use a crossover(?)\ adapter cable (stereo jack to stereo xlr) and just connect right into the multicable onstage. No DI-boxes or anything. We usually get our own monitor speakers, so i can hear myself pretty good. So for me, i can't really see the point in using a keyboardamp of any kind, unless you're performing alone using only your keyboard onstage.

Reaction score
I run a dj service so I found I can plug my keyboard output into the in rca jacks with a signal splitter so I get both left and right channels. I can crank it up so it almost shatters windows.
ace karaoke from california has mixer/amps for $200 and under. check them out.

Reaction score
" .. Good Amps for Yamaha Keyboards ..." and " ..To be honest I could probably spare up to $200-300..'

Good amp and $200-300 typically don't jive; you get what you pay for ... I would check used keyboard amps that at one time were good amps but are no longer favored because many people have turned to powered speakers. If you want a 'great' amp for $400 (probably the one exception to the rule), try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-Electro-...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item5d3b7c6d31

otherwise I'd be looking for used amps from Peavey (KB series) or Roland (KC series) where the market has moved to the next generation and these older generations amps are now available at bargain basement prices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I started out in my home studio with a Behringer K450-FX

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ULT...ie=UTF8&qid=1363049425&sr=8-1&keywords=k450fx

But then I wanted to go stereo so I picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5's

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-9900-651...ie=UTF8&qid=1363049570&sr=8-1&keywords=bx5+d2

and hooked them up thru a Behringer Mixer.

One nice thing about the K450FX is that it has 100 DSP effects built in that complement the keyboards' effects quite nicely.

My Behringer mixer also has the same 100 effects built in so I really didn't give up anything when I went for the monitors.

Anyway, for a home studio either setup would do you nicely, and if you were taking it on the road the K450FX or a pair of them would easily play a small to mid sized hall.

Wes

Reaction score
Any bass amp, keyboard amp, or powered speaker should work fine for you. I currently use an old Crate KX-80, it's does a good job except it's about 40 lbs too heavy for my taste. My next "amp" will probably be a Behringer B215D powered speaker. I like amps with 15" speakers because I play both boogie-woogie piano and heavy low synth tones, and I want good frequency response down to ~30Hz.

The B215D can be sat up like a normal keyboard amp, or turned on its side like a wedge. It can take balanced or unbalanced inputs, and can be chained. I believe if you run a unbalanced line in and an unbalanced out to your FOH board that you don't need a DI. Oh, my Crate also has a balanaced out, TRS though, so I keep a TRS->XLR cable in my gig bag so that I can give the sound man a balanced out without worrying about a DI. They generally appreciate this.

You can also run it as a generic monitor if your FOH board can give you a separate mix. Rated at 550 marketing watts, they make about 300W RMS, which is more than you'll ever need if you care about cost. You can also pole-mount them and use them as FOH speakers if you care to. ISTR the output SPL can hit 126db at 1m.

Ask a Question