Good condition used Motif XS6 or Korg M50

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been digging and digging trying to get opinions on this but the two boards (both are 61 key) don't seem to get a lot of comparisons. I know the XS is more a "flagship" and the M50 is a "compromise".
The M50 would be brand new while the Motif is used (but in good condition).
Its a hobby for me and I am (slowly) learning how to play and whichever board I choose I will be stuck with for awhile.
A few years back I picked up a Yamaha CS6X and LOVED it. I never got around to learning how to sequence or properly sample on it but I could easily loose hours just exploring the sounds and I LOVED the controls. I sold it and went all in on the soft synths with a midi controller setup (Kontakt, Sonar, Absynth, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere...the list goes on and on).
I have always regretted selling the Yamaha as the computer based setup simply was not as enjoyable or inspiring.
I have played a lot with the M50 and it does seem kind of cheaply built, although I likely will never gig with it. The sounds and the combies on the M50 seem pretty amazing though and the interface is easy and intuitive The XS seems more solid and has much more controls and in/outs but I have not been able to sample the sounds nor navigate the interface. I keep reading over and over though that the Yamaha sequencer/interface takes a lot of work getting used to...
What would be better for the average hobby Joe, a good condition (but used) Motif XS or a brand new M50?
Thanks in advance for all your advise...

Ask a Question