Good keyboard for beginners

Zyl

Reaction score
Hello,

I used to play the piano as a kid (total of maybe 300 hours of experience) because my mom valued being able to play an instrument, but I dropped it entirely when I got older. Always was on about music though and lately thought I might pick up the keyboard again, electronic this time.

What I am looking for:
- Should scale up well in case I decide to get more equipment.
- Not too pricy as I'm not sure if it will get to me. At least 300€ for the sake of value, 800€ maximum.
- Ability to integrate this well with music production software.
- Versatility; I mainly listen to electronic music but I find myself able to appreciate anything, except gospel maybe.

Got some vague idea and experience with music production software, such as Fruity Loops Studio and Renoise, yet find myself outsmarted by massive arrays of tuning-knobs. I might want to learn more eventually but I don't want technical overhead prevent me from jumping in and giving it a try.

I find myself slightly more into rhythm and drum patterns than melody.

I have lost 100% of my ability to read notes and play and will have to relearn from scratch.

Hope there are some enthusiastic minds out there itching to make a good suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Zyl

Zyl

Reaction score
What do you mean by "scales up well".... :confused:

The Y-man
If I ever decide to buy new equipment, it should not obsolete old equipment, but complement it.

Thanks. The Korg microSTATION looks like it has what I need. Lot's of customizability and basic stuff to play around and learn with and MIDI functionality for working with software backends. Writing own sound synthesizing software is also something I've been willing to try. Unless there is some deal breaker I'd go for that one. http://www.korg.com/microstation

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When Y_Man says "small" he means, it has mini sized keys. For a lot of people that would be a dealbreaker.

Korg is releasing the new Kross in August which may be a better choice for you.

Zyl

Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. Would it have any downsides in comparison to the microSTATION, and how much would it cost? If "small keys" are at least sized and spaced as computer keyboard keys, it should be no problem for me.

Thanks for the efforts.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Korg Kross is scheduled for release this August with an estimated street price between $600 and $1000 depending on which version with how many keys you buy.

The Microstation has far more downside than this unit. The Microstation is a mini key unit and older technology. It's really meant to be used as a module with a full sized MIDI controller.

Anyway, going by your stated interests and budget, I'd say go with either the Korg Kross 61 Keyboard or a Casio XW-G1 or XW-P1 or an arranger keyboard like the Yamaha PSR-E433.

Any of those would offer you years of playability and enjoyment without breaking your budget.

If you need help choosing among those, I'd suggest watching some youtube demos or visiting a few local music shops for an instore demo.

Gary

Zyl

Reaction score
I'll have the opportunity to test a MIDI keyboard of a friend of mine the coming weekend. Maybe that'll help me understand what I need. Thanks for the help thus far.

Ask a Question