Good modeling keyboard

Reaction score
Playing blue collar man, don’t tell me you love me and would like a keyboard with those patches. Also a top notch Hammond sound. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I don't know those tunes, but Studiologic Sledge decidedly does not have top notch Hammond sounds.

Reaction score
Playing blue collar man, don’t tell me you love me and would like a keyboard with those patches. Also a top notch Hammond sound. Any suggestions?
Blue collar man is an overdriven Hammond organ and dont tell me you love me is a polyphonic synth. Depending on how "top notch" the hammond/leslie has to be will determine the instrument. Also, you could purchase a midi module that just does hammond/leslie and then focus on a keyboard with a good polyphonic synthesizer. You didn't mention budget, so I'm not going to go into a giant list of potential keyboards until I understand how much you are willing to spend. One of the things I learned in this forum is that people who have one or two posts ask us to do research and they are never heard from again. So the ball's in your court about spend level before I'm going to give you any more information.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
He turned off notifications and went out and bought a Sledge. :)

The pOWER oF pERSUASION!!!

:D :D :D

Gary ;)

PS: The Sledge can do a BITCHEN job of emulating a Hammond. :p

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
S: The Sledge can do a BITCHEN job of emulating a Hammond. :p

On the off chance that you're serious... you can't be serious.

It's cool organ functionality for a VA synth. It can get you by with some organ sounds. It is not in the same universe as a keyboard having "a top notch Hammond sound" OR a bitchen Hammond emulation.

Before you even get into the subjective qualities, just from a technical aspect, it lets you emulate a max of 3 of the 9 drawbars, which right there makes it almost more of a novelty ("look what I can make this do!") than any attempt at a serious Hammond organ emulation. Tangentially, while Hammond tonewheels were indeed supposed to be sine waves, in reality, they aren't, which is part of what makes them sound richer. There's so much more missing... leakage/crosstalk, percussion, the C/V+Leslie combination, a proper Leslie effect which can change the speeds differently above and below the crossover point, and a ton of other things which can really get into the weeds. (Check the manual of the Hammond SK Pro if you want to see the kinds of things that go into creating faithful Hammond emulations.) But this isn't even in the ballpark. Saying a board like this gives you a top-notch Hammond emulation is like writing a program that can add two numbers and saying "Hey, I programmed a copy of Excel!"

He came he posted and 11 days later he cannot even post a thanks.
People come and go on forums all the time. But he also hasn't gotten a proper answer to his question. Dave at least provided some useful perspective, though not until yesterday. So I'd say that at least 10 days into that 11, there wasn't much to thank anyone for. ;-)

Reaction score
Scott
You seem to be saying why something will not fulfil the requirements rather than offering positive suggestions as to what will.

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know the sounds in question. But I knew enough to say that the one suggestion, Studiologic Sledge, would not fulfill the request for a top-notch Hammond emulation, so if that was the OP's goal, he needn't waste his time. That would be helpful info to the OP. I don't need to be able to answer every aspect of his question to be able to offer him something helpful.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
No need to be so condescending Scott.

He asked for a MODELLING keyboard. The sledge also has the ability to load in a soundfont that would come really close.

I'm not saying it would play like a drawbar organ out of the box, but it could sure as hell be programmed to do some pretty close emulations of iconic organ sounds
Just being factual. "Modeling" keyboard is a nebulous phrase, it doesn't tell us what he wants, but the text of the first post does. My guess is he cares more about the results than what tech is used to get there, but modeling is a good way to for synth and organ. Modeling itself it can mean many things. Sledge, Roland V-Piano, and Crumar Mojo are all modeling keyboards... modeling analog synth, piano, and organ respectively. There are some keyboards that model organ and analog synth, but Sledge is not among them. Current examples would be Nord Stage 3, Roland VR-09B/VR-730/Fantom/Fantom-0, Korg Nautilus and Vox Continental, Kurzweil K2700/PC4/SP6. The soundfont suggestion will not work for a top-notch Hammond, for reasons I don't want to take the time to type, but also overlap with the ones I mentioned earlier (e.g. wrong percussion and Leslie behavior). And the two youtube videos you included do not show emulations of Hammond organ sounds.

Between a sledge and a Ferrofish B4000+ he'd have everything he could ask for. :)
Now you're making a suggestion that is at least in the ballpark. ;-) I don't happen to be a fan of the ferrofish, but it at least does provides an attempt at a real Hammond organ emulation, even if I think few would put it in the top-notch category. But if he wants polysynth+Hammond, then a Sledge plus an organ module (even if I'd prefer a different one) gets much closer to what the OP asked for than the Sledge alone, and could certainly be a reasonable approach to consider.

Ask a Question