Greetings (Earthlings)

Reaction score
Captain Donn here. At 70 years old i am now taking piano (keyboard) lessons. I used to play guitar until May 6th of this year. That's when I got my left hand fingers tangled up in a table saw blade. My pinky and pointer fingers were almost severed. After two surgeries and 2 days in the hospital i went home to recover. The surgeon said i would be playing my guitar in 6 weeks. I think he was trying to get my spirits up. It worked for a while but then the 6 weeks came and went. Depression set in. I saw a therapist and that was ok but i needed something else. One of my daughters friends said "Oh, he will be alright. His super power is solving problems." Well, that lifted me up and out of the darkness. Just that one sentence did it. Not sure how i came up on the idea of a keyboard but here i am. A friend gave me a Casio WK-6500. Another friend gave me a chord chart and now i am off and running! I started taking lessons from very nice woman who came highly recommended and only lives about 200 yards from me. I was just a strummer on guitar and i find that some songs are much easier to play on the keyboard compared to the guitar. I am now going through my song book and having a blast. I am looking forward to hanging out here.
Captain Donn

Reaction score
Welcome Capn from another Septagenerian.

Enjoy your learning.

Sorry to read of your issues, and not to make light of the problems but that old groaner sprang into mind.

Injured Patient, Dr will I ever play the keyboard?

Dr, give it time and do your therapy exercises and yes you will be able to play the keyboard.

Injured Patient, that is great, I cannot play a keyboard now.

Reaction score
Captain Donn here. At 70 years old i am now taking piano (keyboard) lessons. I used to play guitar until May 6th of this year. That's when I got my left hand fingers tangled up in a table saw blade. My pinky and pointer fingers were almost severed. After two surgeries and 2 days in the hospital i went home to recover. The surgeon said i would be playing my guitar in 6 weeks. I think he was trying to get my spirits up. It worked for a while but then the 6 weeks came and went. Depression set in. I saw a therapist and that was ok but i needed something else. One of my daughters friends said "Oh, he will be alright. His super power is solving problems." Well, that lifted me up and out of the darkness. Just that one sentence did it. Not sure how i came up on the idea of a keyboard but here i am. A friend gave me a Casio WK-6500. Another friend gave me a chord chart and now i am off and running! I started taking lessons from very nice woman who came highly recommended and only lives about 200 yards from me. I was just a strummer on guitar and i find that some songs are much easier to play on the keyboard compared to the guitar. I am now going through my song book and having a blast. I am looking forward to hanging out here.
Captain Donn
Great stuff,i moved house almost thirty years ago and had a big Elke drawbar Organ,i was never a brilliant player but me and my Dad liked messing about trying,but when i moved, no room for the Organ so it went,i only just started again but its a slow learning curve after all that time,i just bought a Korg EK 50 keyboard last week,it should keep me busy for now and am enjoying it,been trying to learn some blues scales.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome Donn.
Nice intro (but tragic).
Dogma prevails in the old bloke.
Enjoy the keyboard learning.
Challenging but rewarding.
Keep us posted with your progress and ask any questions. Much experience here at these forums.
Cheers
R

Reaction score
Great stuff,i moved house almost thirty years ago and had a big Elke drawbar Organ,i was never a brilliant player but me and my Dad liked messing about trying,but when i moved, no room for the Organ so it went,i only just started again but its a slow learning curve after all that time,i just bought a Korg EK 50 keyboard last week,it should keep me busy for now and am enjoying it,been trying to learn some blues scales.
Probably getting an EK-50 next week. I live up in extreme northern Mn (1.2 miles from Canada) and heading down to Mpls for a couple days. One of the stores down there has a new EK-50 for $399. Best price i have see around plus there are many good reviews on YouTube. The bad reviews are things i dont even know what they are talking about and if they wanted that stuff there are plenty of higher priced kb's that have those features.

Reaction score
Korg kit is very good, the EK50 is basically their entry level arranger.

Plus

Bonus Styles are freely available from Korg’s Bonusware website, simply download and store the content on your PC for now. There are links in this website to tutorials on using these free Styles. Ignore that it says India in the visible link below, there are regional Style packs available with India being one of them.

Ask a Question