Greetings, hello, hi etc.

Reaction score
New to these forums, not entirely new to piano/keyboards.

Well... kinda sorta.

I call myself a "deja vu beginner" because I was teaching myself to play piano years ago on an old acoustic. Life got in the way, there was lots of moving about (the piano had to go), lots of changes etc. but finally I'm more settled. so I bought myself a digital piano and I'm now re-learning all over again. (I did have a old 61 key Casio I was messing about on but it died...)

I got myself a Yamaha DGX 640 because it's both a digital piano (piano is my primary interest) and a wee bit synthy too. I like all the options and voices, computer connectivity etc. I quite fancy using a D.A.W. at some point when I get a bit more creative.

Anyway, I thought I'd do things right and say hi before I dive in to the forums and see what's what.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hiya Zoya. The 640 is a good choice for a starter instrument. Proper keyboard feel as well as a good selection of built in voices.

I have a few personal bones to pick with Yamaha products about drivers and platform support policies but those are neither here nor there.

As long as you stick to Windows and Macs you'll be fine.

So what kind of music do you like and what kind of stuff do you play?

Gary

Reaction score
Hi, Gary.

I'm a very eclectic person when it comes to music and I'll listen to/play just about anything. So I suppose it'd be easier to say what I don't like which would be C&W, hymns and most rap. Everything else is on a case by case basis. But for favourites, my classical tastes are quite pedestrian - Chopin, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Delibes etc. More contemporary stuff - Muse, Queen, The Manics, Goldfrapp - although I'm not above the odd bit of Lady GaGa if the mood takes me. ;) (Not sure I'd want to translate that to my keyboard playing, however...)

I'm enjoying my 640. I only use Windows (for my sins) so I haven't run into any problems.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your tastes mirror mine. I'll listen to anything from Bach to the Dead Kennedys. ;)

I'll listen to anything except Disco, Opera, Rap and Chinese Gong Music.

Otherwise pretty much every other genre is fair game for me :)

Gary

Ask a Question