Greetings. New member

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you for allow me in the forum.
I think a disclaimer is in order: I do like and can find a few chords in a keyboard, I own a few keyboards and synths:
a Nord Electro 5D mostly for the organ/Piano sounds, a Novation Bass Station II for analog synth (Considering to update to a Mog/Minimogg), Two keyboard controllers triggering several samplers and software instruments. I am somehow familiar with technology and many times I help friends fixing/repairing issues on keyboards.

But I am not a keyboard player..... I decided to join this forum to get some education, read keyboards player perspectives... If allowed, to get a little inside on the keyboard player world.

You see.. I play guitars and "sing" in a band with a drummer, Bass Player, A Percussionist, backing vocals, and ... a Keyboard Player, that is a really good friend but extremely busy making a living playing keyboards (A good thing from my point of view). With not time to rehearsal or be involved in a creative original project.

We have been trying to get in touch with other keyboard players to collaborate/participate with nor good results. In other forums I read that keyboard players are hard to find, very scarce, piano/organ players are a thing of the last generation,
keyboard players became scarce while keyboards have gotten so much better.... Etc.... Craigslist is full of adds of bands looking for keyboard players in the other hand the few keyboard players posting are offering services for (in my area) Lessons, Music director, cover/wedding bands, producer/multi-instrimentalist and so on.

I agree with some other comments I read: Usually keyboard players are the most musically educated people in the band.
"Most keyboard players do tend to have some training and grounding in harmony, etc. While there are many guitarists with training and understanding, there are also an awful lot of self-taught guitarists with very rudimentary understandings of music."
Perhaps that is one of the reason to be difficult for a non professional bands to find a keyboard player.

So I am here to try to learn how to find, approach and work with a keyboard player. My apologies for the long rambling.

P.S We are located in NY. Weschester/Bronx/Manhattan area.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi there,

While it's true that many keyboard players are formally trained there's also a large percentage of players out there who are self taught and play by ear as well.

I myself am one of those people, and while I spend a lot of time trying to upgrade my skills, by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself to be an "expert" in music.

Anyway, these forums are open to all with an interest in music in general and keyboards in particular and there are people here of all skill levels ranging from clueless neophyte to conservatory types and everyone in between.

Here's hoping you enjoy your stay and find what you are looking for.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
In other forums I read that keyboard players are hard to find, very scarce, piano/organ players are a thing of the last generation, keyboard players became scarce while keyboards have gotten so much better

It's the classic chicken/egg problem. Keyboardists aren't out there looking for gigs because when they look at local bands that are gigging, the vast majority don't have keyboards. (The last Main Street Live only had about 10% of the bands with keyboards. Drop the solo acts and the number climbs to a massive 15%.) Bands don't look for keyboards because they don't get responses to their ads.

I'd be looking for a band right now, except my plate is pretty full with family and job. Also, I'm not sure how my wife would respond to my working with someone other than her. But I don't think she's interested in playing out anymore.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
But I am not a keyboard player..... I decided to join this forum to get some education, read keyboards player perspectives... If allowed, to get a little inside on the keyboard player world.
An excellent attitude. Look, read, listen and learn. Above all enjoy.
Cheers and welcome Galipote.
Love music / love life -ray

Ask a Question