Guitar multi-effects pedal for Brian May sound?

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone - i don't want to join a guitar forum just for this question, because I am sure someone here will have a good idea.

My 12yo son is beginning to play guitar. He saw an effect pedal that does a Brian May sound. It is expensive, and limited. So, I thought that a good alternative would be a guitar multi effects pedal that would cover a "Brian May sound."

My guess is that a few things would be required. Some amp modeling. Sustain. Drive. Chorus. Maybe harmonizer. Wah pedal.
Also, I would want it to be not very complicated - not a lot of menu-diving required. I could try to get all of this in one, or most, with another effect pedal, if needed.

I see Vox has a "Vox StompLab IIG" guitar multi effects pedal that might cover some of this. This being under $100 is great, also - I know I could get whatever I dream, if price is no object, but $75- $125 might be my range. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Brian May’s unique sound is created via his Amp choice and setup and his Red Guitar pickups and wiring, there aint no pedals involved.

My suggestion is to hunt on eBay for a Boss ME 80 or GT 100 multi effects pedal board. Once you have one you can buy a Patch very cheaply that will replicate the sound, another Patch well worth looking at is Sound on Sound which will give the unique sound of Pink Ffloyd’s Dave Gilmour.

I have a GT 100, it is a brilliant pedal board which has now been superseeded by the GT 1000. There is Boss software available to manage the inbuilt and custom Patches plus hundreds of Patches available to download and install. It is far easier to programme the pedal board via a PC than it is to kneel on the floor pressing endless buttons.

Your Son should find that he will not need any pedals at all the Boss ME or GT will do it all.

Youtube reviews of these boards and also how to use them, I got my GT100 as an ex Demo unit for £125.

Reaction score
Brian May’s unique sound is created via his Amp choice and setup and his Red Guitar pickups and wiring, there aint no pedals involved.

My suggestion is to hunt on eBay for a Boss ME 80 or GT 100 multi effects pedal board. Once you have one you can buy a Patch very cheaply that will replicate the sound, another Patch well worth looking at is Sound on Sound which will give the unique sound of Pink Ffloyd’s Dave Gilmour.

I have a GT 100, it is a brilliant pedal board which has now been superseeded by the GT 1000. There is Boss software available to manage the inbuilt and custom Patches plus hundreds of Patches available to download and install. It is far easier to programme the pedal board via a PC than it is to kneel on the floor pressing endless buttons.

Your Son should find that he will not need any pedals at all the Boss ME or GT will do it all.

Youtube reviews of these boards and also how to use them, I got my GT100 as an ex Demo unit for £125.
Biggles - I know we won't sound like Brian May! --With the noted pedals, do you transfer the patch over to the pedal b y computer, and then it is in the pedal, no need to continue to be connected to computer? I guess it gets assigned to an open patch spot with a number?

Reaction score
If you have the written settings you can key them into the pedalboard in a vacant position.

Or

The software transfers the Patch file to the pedalboard via a usb connection, once in the pedalboard its there and the connection is removed, the Patch will remain in its pedalboard location when the power is turned off.

I have a host of Patches to replicate The Shadows sound of Hank Marvin, Dave Gilmour and even James Hetfield. There are plenty on the Boss website available that replicate the guitar sounds of hundreds of well known songs and there are Patch sites where they can be downloaded or requested.

There is another pedal called the Zoom GX1on which is patch based and a search online may reveal Patch settings.

Reaction score
If you get a Sansamp Liverpool, it's their Vox in a box pedal, you need a clean boost to maximize his tone.

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone! Right now, he is getting used to the Vox Stomplab IIG.
That video is a great advertisement for the Joyo!

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone! Right now, he is getting used to the Vox Stomplab IIG.
That video is a great advertisement for the Joyo!
I'm a guitar player, I chased that tone for awhile, I bought one of his guitars, an AC15, and a Boost it's fun, but unless your doing Queen stuff you won't use it. His tone comes from Modded AC30's

Ask a Question