Guitar to keyboard tips needed....

Reaction score
Hi just joined....

As a total amateur I'd played the guitar for years then a few weeks ago finally decided to learn to play the piano properly instead of just playing the black keys, so bought a cheapo beginner's keyboard from Argos (UK) by Acoustic Solutions. Very hard indeed to make progress, then suddenly stumbled on a YouTube video saying that if one had played the guitar before learning the piano would be very easy which made me highly skeptical.

Neverthess persevered and to my amazement found I was soon able to play some old jazz stuff in next to no time. So immediately got back into Audacity again and now having a great time with one or two recordings which seem to sound ok, though still making mistakes with the left hand which obviously just needs practice.

Not sure what to do and where to go next, so wondered if anyone's been down the same route as well could offer any tips or advice....:)

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Practice! Practice! Practice!!!

That's my best advice. Learn to read music notation, not just tabulature and the rest of the theory is pretty much the same.

Eventually you'll outgrow the learner keyboard and start looking around for some pro gear.

Play anything and everything and work on your ear and most importantly, have fun with it!!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I am a guitarist who transitioned to keys. The advantage you have over say solo note instruments is that you already understand chords. What worked for me was to try to become as familiar with chord inversions as the normal triads. So rather tham always playing a C chord as c.e.g. practice the inversions e.g.c., g.c.e. up and down the keyboard.
The next step (with pop music in particular) was not being afraid to add in a few passing notes in your chords like C2 being a d note and not hitting all the notes at the same time more like rolling your hand a bit sometimes.

Reaction score
Welcome. I came from the guitar world myself. The learning frustrations are the same. Just practice as much as possible. I enjoy it greatly.

Ask a Question