Guitarist Needs Help with Kids' Juno-DS88

Reaction score
Hey there, I could really use some help with my kids' keyboard. I spent half the afternoon trying to figure out the simplest thing and I can't get it. Here is what we want to.

He plays some songs with the "split" feature. He has piano on the bottom and the brass on the upper keys.
When he solos he wants to push a button and have the brass go away so it is just piano. Then he wants to be able to hit the same button and have it go back to the split piano/brass patch. From what I have figured out the "phrase pads" won't do this and we have to use the buttons 1-9 below the screen. Is this right?

I can't seem to save the split patch to a user bank. And consequently I can't save it to one of the 1-9 buttons.

Can someone tell us how to do this? Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Save the two setups as consecutive performances and toggle back and forth between them with the pads selecting each one in performance mode.

I'll double check on my DS61 tomorrow when I get a chance.

I threw out my back last week and I'm still laid up but I'll try and figure it out for you tomorrow.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Where do I save them to? A user patch? Like 501? I tried that but I can't recall them or figure out where I saved them. Definitely too many menus for my tiny guitar playing brain. I need more of a first, then, then, etc.

I read the manual, but I still don't get how and where to save a patch. Is it even a patch? I am doing a "split" whatever you call that, a patch? a performance?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, working from memory here.

You have 100 empty user slots for performances.

Go into performance mode. Create your split. Then hit the Write Button and it will query you what you want to save. Select Performance then select a user slot you want to save to and hit enter.

I think left and right arrows select presets or user.

Then edit your performance to remove the split or split on the same piano on both sides and repeat the procedure into the next user slot.

I usually use this for layers but it should work just as well for splits.

When it comes to assigning performances to pads I'm not sure on the procedure. I'll try and suss it out of the manuals tomorrow.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW. Search Roland Juno DS trutorials on Youtube.

There's about 14 nicely explained tutorials by Roland themselves that describe how to operate the basic features by simple examples.

Great companions to the manuals.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I took a look at the manual today.

Basically as far as saving a performance to a favorite button goes,

1) Follow the procedure I listed above to create and save a user performance.

2) Follow the procedures on pages 7 and 8 in the manual to save the two performances to two different favorites.

Voila!

You're done.

The point is, you can 't save a performance to a favorite until you've first saved it as a user performance.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I think I mostly got it, but I was hoping it was a little more simple to do playing live. It would be ideal to just hit a phrase pad and switch "performances". I think what is annoying me is that a split keyboard can't be a patch it has to be a performance which doesn't make sense.

As it is now, if he is playing in the Grand Piano DS performance mode he has to hit 2 buttons to switch to find his user split "performance". First, he has to hit the "favorites" button and find the right bank where the user performance is stored and then hit the 0-9 button where the performance is stored. This has to happen is a split second as he finishes a horn line and then wants to go all piano for a solo. I guess that's as good as we can do.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As near as I can figure it, you go into performance mode, save the piano as one performance and the horn split as a second performance and from there all you have to do is call up the performance with two favorites buttons.

Like I said, try saving the piano as a split with both sides using the same voice. Then there's no button press for entering/exiting split mode eliminating one button.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And the reason why splits and layers have to be saved as performances instead of patches is because each uses multiple patches in a single voice ergo they are using multiple MIDI channels internally and cannot be saved as a single patch.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I freakin' got it Gary. Not even sure how I did it or if I can do it again. The way to do it playing live is with the "favorites" button lit all the time. And then have all the performances we want assigned to buttons 1-9. I kept getting weird errors, but somehow I got it on the last try and it remembered it. Thanks much!!!!!!!! I am really grateful for holding my hand through this bologna....glad I'm just a dumb guitar player!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're off to a good start.

We all went thru this BS at the beginning so you're in good company.

We'll make a gear geek out of you yet :D

Congratulations on getting it working. Next time should be easier.

All the best..

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, overall how is your son enjoying the voice quality and keyboard feel of the DS88?

Hopefully I didn't steer you guys wrong in the first place :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question