Hammond keyboard choice model versions

Reaction score
Hi All,

I own a Vox Continental 73, which emulates the old Vox Continental that Ray Manzarek from the Doors was using. This is actually a reissue therefore I was expecting the sound to be spot on. However I bought it also because of the Hammond sound the the Rhodes sound. The Rhodes is good but the Hammond is very bad. I bought then a second hand Roland Juno DS 88 hoping to get some good Hammond there but as far i can tell the on-board preset sounds of all type of Organs are not even close to a real Hammond.

Unless it is possible to download other Hammond sounds that can be used on the Juno DS then I would say that:

What Hammond keyboard model second hand and affordable can I buy?

I basically need to play and record all the Deep Purple songs, well, all the one that use the Hammond and try to be as close as possible to the sound that Jon Lord was using, an example is Smoke on the Water.

I am open to any suggestions my budget is 600 Euros and i know it is maybe impossible to find an old Hammond even 15 years old. I have seen some Hammond Organ selling cheap around the price I am looking for, but unsure how good they are and if is worth it to buy them,

Example

Hammond XK-2

Unless you know some other brand that can reproduce that sound with fidelity or if you know options for my Juno or if there are other options similar to the Ferrfish B4000, shall I trust it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Have you had a good search through the Roland Axial website for the freebies you can install in the DS ?

probably not, and thanks for replying back. Sorry about the ignorance on the terminology "freebies" what is actually meant and how can I install those on DS? could you help or be more specific maybe?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Vox should be able to do what you want , in its CX3 mode (and I think the XK2 and Ferrofish will be no better). Use the Drive effect and the Valve Drive. (Lots.) Turn off the rotary effect. For drawbar setting, I think the first three full on should do it. No percussion or vib/chorus. The thing about the Jon Lord sound is that it isn't a typical organ sound of Hammond through Leslie, instead it's Hammond through something like a Marshall amp. So you either need to play it through an appropriate amp, or you need to electronically simulate--not just the sound of the Hammond organ--but the sound of the amp as well. So you could try putting the Vox through a different amp or an amp simulator pedal, but as I said, first try getting the best overdrive tube amp sound you can get out of the Vox itself with its tube and drive controls. If you can't get what you're after and you do want to look at other clones, what you're looking for is not just Hammond organ emulation, but built-in guitar amp emulation as well. In terms of used models, Roland's COSM organs like the VK-8 were probably above average for that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

If those sounds don't cut it for you you might want to consider a Hammond Emulator Module like the Ferrofish B4000+.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Freebies are items that are free of charge and the site and your manual will say how to install.

Roland have the axial website and Korg have their Bonusware website.

As Vox is owned by Korg you may be interested in their Synth Show which showcases Korgs non arranger keyboards. If you register and ask a question they will answer live during a live broadcast which will be available to view at any time post the live show

Reaction score
Your Vox should be able to do what you want , in its CX3 mode (and I think the XK2 and Ferrofish will be no better). Use the Drive effect and the Valve Drive. (Lots.) Turn off the rotary effect. For drawbar setting, I think the first three full on should do it. No percussion or vib/chorus. The thing about the Jon Lord sound is that it isn't a typical organ sound of Hammond through Leslie, instead it's Hammond through something like a Marshall amp. So you either need to play it through an appropriate amp, or you need to electronically simulate--not just the sound of the Hammond organ--but the sound of the amp as well. So you could try putting the Vox through a different amp or an amp simulator pedal, but as I said, first try getting the best overdrive tube amp sound you can get out of the Vox itself with its tube and drive controls. If you can't get what you're after and you do want to look at other clones, what you're looking for is not just Hammond organ emulation, but built-in guitar amp emulation as well. In terms of used models, Roland's COSM organs like the VK-8 were probably above average for that.

This is the perfect answer I was looking for.

The Vox should be able to get that sound pretty close but...i already put it on CX3 mode, i also used overdrive effect "lots" and valve drive "lots" Turn off rotary effect is what I have to figure out is possible to disable? I am new to that Vox bought it 30 days ago and barely used it.

For the drawbar I put the first 3 all the way down as you mentioned, however I can hear percussion how can i disable percussion?

So basically the issues are 2

How to disable percussion?

How to disable rotary?

For the Amp part I have already a Fender Guitar Amp, ;-)

Thanks

Reaction score
Percussion is toggled on and off with the PERC/MTB button
Rotary (Leslie effect) is toggled on and off with the ROTARY button

Thanks again you helped to resolve, at the end of the day I had all available in front of my eyes but I didn’t look with proper attention.

Basically the sound is now exactly the same of what I was looking for as far I can tell, my ears are telling me that and if there is some sort of difference is minimal.

Thanks

Ask a Question