hammond or synth

Reaction score
Hello

I have a good piano (korg SP250) but I want a synthiser with a good hammond sound.
Hope you can give me advise:
1) iam not a pro
2) i want good stuff
3) I want to use strings and a good mellotron and hammond sound.

What should I buy? a synth with inside sounds like roland juno or VK8 roland hammond?
Price around max 1000

Thanks!!

Reaction score
1000 Euros is about £800 I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

For that sort of cash you could pick up and excellent second hand "Rompler" which would certainly do what you're after.

I'd be inclined to look at a Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, Kurzweil K2500. These might be a bit "in depth" for what you're trying to achieve but they're certainly future proofed. You don't want to spend that sort of money and then realise in a years time it's not up to the job anymore.
The three synths I mentioned above are all capable in some form or another of loading third party samples, so you should NEVER run out of new sounds. So if you don't like the Mellotron preset, get yourself a new Mellotron sample pack and you're good to go.
A Juno (if you mean a proper Juno) isn't the right thing, it's an eighties polysynth. A Roland VK8 can ONLY do hammonds and electro mechanical simulations. If you want a bit of a Jack of all trades, take a second hand workstation like the ones listed above.

Reaction score
[
Thanks you. Does THE korf produce own sounds likje strings mellotron?
Is it easy to creatie new sounds?
Iam not à pro.
So of i correct you well, juno gI is not profes. In his sounds?
I want to produce symfo rock, 80 style.

QUOTE=ootini;160688]1000 Euros is about £800 I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

For that sort of cash you could pick up and excellent second hand "Rompler" which would certainly do what you're after.

I'd be inclined to look at a Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, Kurzweil K2500. These might be a bit "in depth" for what you're trying to achieve but they're certainly future proofed. You don't want to spend that sort of money and then realise in a years time it's not up to the job anymore.
The three synths I mentioned above are all capable in some form or another of loading third party samples, so you should NEVER run out of new sounds. So if you don't like the Mellotron preset, get yourself a new Mellotron sample pack and you're good to go.
A Juno (if you mean a proper Juno) isn't the right thing, it's an eighties polysynth. A Roland VK8 can ONLY do hammonds and electro mechanical simulations. If you want a bit of a Jack of all trades, take a second hand workstation like the ones listed above.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hi, the Juno GL is a professional synth, but it's a "budget" model. It's not in the same league as the other three I mentioned.

All three of the workstations, the Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, and Kurzweil K2500 are all serious professional instruments. All three will probably have a Mellotron string patch or two already onboard when you buy it, you can tweak these sounds and create new sounds from scratch using the onboard synthesis capabilities. The Kurzweill has the most powerful synthesis engine by a long stretch. You can also buy "sample packs" which will contain other sounds which you can then load in to the machine and play as if they were preset sounds. How "easy" it is to create new sounds depends on how well you get on with the synthesizers architecture. Personally I like Roland and Kurzweil, Korg is a bit of an odd one, but it's simply what you're used to, but remember the VAST system used by Kurzweil is very, very powerful and can be very complex to a newcomer.

Reaction score
Kurzweill2500 sounds good, but About Roland s5 any tips?
Wicht is beter, has more inside sounds? Looping for mellotron and hammond.

Hi, the Juno GL is a professional synth, but it's a "budget" model. It's not in the same league as the other three I mentioned.

All three of the workstations, the Korg Triton, Roland Fantom, and Kurzweil K2500 are all serious professional instruments. All three will probably have a Mellotron string patch or two already onboard when you buy it, you can tweak these sounds and create new sounds from scratch using the onboard synthesis capabilities. The Kurzweill has the most powerful synthesis engine by a long stretch. You can also buy "sample packs" which will contain other sounds which you can then load in to the machine and play as if they were preset sounds. How "easy" it is to create new sounds depends on how well you get on with the synthesizers architecture. Personally I like Roland and Kurzweil, Korg is a bit of an odd one, but it's simply what you're used to, but remember the VAST system used by Kurzweil is very, very powerful and can be very complex to a newcomer.

Reaction score
The Nord Lead 2, can only play 8 notes at a time, it's "ok" at hammonds and other than that it does "synth" style sounds, not really what you're after I wouldn't have thought. It could fake mellotron strings but not aswell as the Kurzweil could

Reaction score
I've had "Viscounts" The Korg CX3 and the Hammond SK1. (I've played the Nord, and the Roland, and have a Triton Extreme). The Hammond SK1 (made by Suzuki, how weird).is the best of the bunch for authentic Hammond sounds with some acceptable piano & strings.. (if your only carrying one board around and you NEED authentic B3, this is it. The others are close..... (I sold the CX3, and the Viscount DB3 is for sale).
It appears you are NOT in the US, so look into the Viscount (especially the DB3 module).... Its relatively cheap, (made in Italy) has drawbars and does a pretty good job of B3 Clone. (it was known here in the states as the Oberheim Ob3, a much sought after module... )....
The Hammond Sk1 (at around $2,000 US) is the best , but it IS way overpriced.........

Ask a Question