Hammond SK-1 MIDI Issues

Reaction score
I have multiple setups I use live but I love my Hammond SK-1, the problem is, I use Mainstage 3 with all of my setups but I cannot get Mainstage to recognize the SK.
I bought a midi adapter, then anther, then another... nothing. My SK is bone-stock other than a custom tone-wheel set, and I have never edited the MIDI template in any way.
I also use IK Multimedia B3-X both in iPad form and MacBook, it is pre-mapped for the SK and yet wont recognize it at all!
Granted I am not a MIDI power user by any means but in Mainstage I have been able to assign ANY keyboard I have ever attempted including my quirky NUMA organ 2, but the SK has me very defeated.
I would really appreciate any suggestions!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off. You say haven't edited, but if you have done any edits you should try a backup and hard reset.

Secondly, a lot of pro boards come with MIDI capability Default to OFF.

It may be set to USB or MIDI or Both or OFF.

Check your manual to see where to enable it.

99% sure that's all there is to your problem.

I've never owned a Hammond but I'd bet the farm that's your problem :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
PS. And while you are in there make sure everything's on the same or correct channel. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
PS. And while you are in there make sure everything's on the same or correct channel. ;)

Gary ;)
Thanks for the reply. The manual is a bit vague and the machine has MIDI "templates" I have tried all 3. There is unfortunately no USB so I am using a USB to MIDI adapter which I thought might be bad but I have tried 3 different ones. THE IK Program (b3-X) is fantastic and it is advertised to be pre-mapped to SK1 (you select it in the setup menu) but even doing that yields no control or recognition.
ALL 5 of the other keyboards I have are plug and play with b3-X and Mainstage so this has been very frustrating. I really don't know how to discern what channel each device is on.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My advice is to buy yourself a cheap MIDI tester and see if a port is bad.

You should be able to get one from china/fleabay for around $20 or $30.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question