Hammond SK Pro or Nord Electro 6d

Reaction score
Im losing my mind trying to decide which one is better for me. The Nord is more affordable, I can get a 73 for $2k used, Hammond Sk pro around $2500 to 3000. I play organ, piano, and ep. I have a separate synthesizer for synths

Reaction score
Im losing my mind trying to decide which one is better for me. The Nord is more affordable, I can get a 73 for $2k used, Hammond Sk pro around $2500 to 3000. I play organ, piano, and ep. I have a separate synthesizer for synths
Nord has the better piano, Hammond has the better organ. Action on the Hammond is more organ centric. Not sure what the action is on an E6 so can't comment there. Nord has a larger library of sounds although those sample aren't multi-samples, but an offering none-the-less. Nord has better support.

I was looking at the E6 myself; right now I'm sticking with my rig but if I had to do a replacement between the two it would be a toss up with potentially the Hammond having a slight edge (it might be a better controller than the Nord). Here's what I would try: See if a brick and mortar has both and give them a whirl. If not, find a dealer like Sweetwater and see if they have a 30 day return policy; have both shipped to your home; try them for a week and send one back (or maybe both if you don't like either).

Reaction score
There’s a Guitar Center with a Hammond XK3c and a Nord Stage 2 semi weighted keys. Then another shop that sells the Nord Electro 6D. The Hammond xk3c organ definitely beat the Stage 2, but it’s hard to compare it to the electro since it’s at another shop. And the sk pro has an even better organ than the xk3c. I may do the electro to save money. I can get a 73 one used for $2k. with the Hammond i would buy it new for 3k (including expression pedal and gig bag). If they were the same price I think I’d go with the Hammond. The Nord has good pianos but they don’t blow my mind. But financially I might be in over my head spending $3k, even with monthly financing.

Reaction score
Action on the Hammond is more organ centric. Not sure what the action is on an E6 so can't comment there.
Hammond and Nord both use Fatar TP/8O (assuming the semi-weighted Electro), but Nord uses a higher tension spring than Hammond does. Though if it's a hammer action Electro, then it's a Fatar TP/100.

if I had to do a replacement between the two it would be a toss up with potentially the Hammond having a slight edge (it might be a better controller than the Nord).
Hammond is definitely a much better controller than Electro. It has 3 MIDI zones for external sounds that are independent of the internal sounds (Nord has none), and it has the pitch and mod controls the Nord lacks.

Symful, for organ/piano/EP, you might also look at Yamaha YC61/YC73 , Vox Continental and Dexibell J7 Combo (the Dexibell also loads soundfonts, which can give you an additional source of piano/EP sounds). This part is obviously subjective, but personally, sonically, I'd rate them this way:

TONEWHEEL ORGAN
1. Hammond
2. Yamaha
3. Nord
4. Dexibell
5. Vox

EPs
1/2/3. Vox, Yamaha, Dexibell -- not sure of that order
4. Nord
5. Hammond

PIANO
1/2/3. Dexibell, Nord, Yamaha -- not sure of that order
4. Vox
5. Hammond

I charted a lot of feature differences at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fr9cObRaep37A9Y1PZtRkVWxKKDsXUGPk9ubfhYgoSk/edit?usp=sharing
you might find something helpful there, too.

Reaction score
Hammond and Nord both use Fatar TP/8O (assuming the semi-weighted Electro), but Nord uses a higher tension spring than Hammond does. Though if it's a hammer action Electro, then it's a Fatar TP/100.

Hammond is definitely a much better controller than Electro. It has 3 MIDI zones for external sounds that are independent of the internal sounds (Nord has none), and it has the pitch and mod controls the Nord lacks.

Symful, for organ/piano/EP, you might also look at Yamaha YC61/YC73 , Vox Continental and Dexibell J7 Combo (the Dexibell also loads soundfonts, which can give you an additional source of piano/EP sounds). This part is obviously subjective, but personally, sonically, I'd rate them this way:

TONEWHEEL ORGAN
1. Hammond
2. Yamaha
3. Nord
4. Dexibell
5. Vox

EPs
4. Nord
5. Hammond

PIANO
4. Vox
5. Hammond

I charted a lot of feature differences at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fr9cObRaep37A9Y1PZtRkVWxKKDsXUGPk9ubfhYgoSk/edit?usp=sharing
I just ordered the Nord. I like the Hammond organ slightly more but Nord is more well rounded. One day I’ll have a separate keyboard for each instrument though. For now ima hve a 2 board rig, the Nord and my Korg minilogue. I used to own the new Vox Continental but I returned it. I ended up hating the organ sound and the digital drawbars, the keybed also lacks durability on the Vox. I also saved a lot of money going with the Nord instead of the Hammond.

Reaction score

TONEWHEEL ORGAN
1. Hammond
2. Yamaha
3. Nord
4. Dexibell
5. Vox

EPs
4. Nord
5. Hammond

PIANO
4. Vox
5. Hammond

I also considered the Yamaha YC73 but the organ wasn’t my taste. It’s good though

Reaction score
the keybed also lacks durability on the Vox
Subjectively, I found the Vox to be one of the nicest semi-weighted actions I've ever played. I don't know about any durability issues.

I also considered the Yamaha YC73 but the organ wasn’t my taste. It’s good though
I found the organ (or more specifically, the rotary effect) to be poor prior to the 1.2 update. Since then, I like it quite a lot.

Reaction score
Subjectively, I found the Vox to be one of the nicest semi-weighted actions I've ever played. I don't know about any durability issues.

I found the organ (or more specifically, the rotary effect) to be poor prior to the 1.2 update. Since then, I like it quite a lot.
I bought the Vox from a friend and got a good deal because two of the keys were sunken in, and it affected the sound too. After a week after I bought it a third note started to sink in. I did like the feel for the most part though. I loved the electric pianos that was my favorite

Reaction score
I bought the Vox from a friend and got a good deal because two of the keys were sunken in, and it affected the sound too. After a week after I bought it a third note started to sink in.
Have you seen reports of similar issues in other units? I wonder if it could just have been the one unit, and since it wasn't bought new, maybe it had survived some sort of unknown damage, e.g. from being dropped or whatever.

I loved the electric pianos that was my favorite
Yeah, the Vox EPs are among my favorites in any board. They are built on the Kronos' EP-1 engine which includes modeling, but has an additional advantage of an analog-ish warmth/drive that comes from the tube. (In the "old days," EPs were very often played through tube amps, like Fender twins and such.)

Ask a Question