hammond sound for beginner???

Reaction score
hello all, i am a sax/guitar/singer in a band who has recently learned the keys...any suggestions for a beginner/middle level keyboard that has a good hammond sound? i have a yamaha protable grand keyboard and it just doesn't cut it...the output is really weak....thanks

Reaction score
Actually, use the USB MIDI out on your portable grand to control ORGANized. It's a free organ VST that actually does a good job...

It's no hammond or clavia, but it'll give you at least a good overdrive sound. The only downside is having to take around a laptop or your DAW...

besides that, it can be a little difficult to sculpt out a fat gospel style organ on it, but you can get one.

Now before people start bashing me on free VSti's, i know may are crap.....but this is an exception.....it's fairly low CPU, doesn't crash after 30 seconds, but it will ask you for a donation....but you don't have to unless the nag screen really anoys you.

Reaction score
What model Hammond and leslie?
Assuming it's a tone wheel model, try a starting setting of 8, 8, 8 on the upper
manual drawbars and adjust from that point. If it's a B3 then try all of the presets
with slow leslie. Over driveing a tube leslie also part of the old rock sound so
the type of leslie you use, and how the amp is set-up does affect the sound.

Not all Hammonds & leslies are created equally, so your milage may vary as to getting
a good old rock sound out of the set-up you're using.
B3

Ask a Question