Hammond sounds from a keyboard/Line 6 amps

Fin

Reaction score
Recently I've been really into the Hammond sounds—B3 specifically—but yet cannot afford a B3. I was considering a cheaper model of the B3, such as the M3, but its just to big for me. I need a keyboard that I can take about, but that makes great Hammond sounds. I was thinking about the new Hammond XK3C, but it's still a lot of money... I'm 12, so I'm certainly not made of money. I then thought about getting a simple midi controller keyboard, and hooking it up through a Line 6 Modeling amp, but I don't know if they do good Hammond sounds, and I don't think they all have MIDI in...
What I'm looking for is a in-expensive keyboard that simulated the B3 well, as well as other organ sounds, and a good Leslie simulation. I was looking at the Casio WK7500, but it looks a bit plastic-y to me, and the piano sound is certainly below average. If someone could recommend a good keyboard, fairly inexpensive, ($500-$900) but with a good Hammond sound, (With draw bars would be excellent) and well made, that would be great. Also, does anyone think its worth considering a digital modeling amp with organ sounds, and if so, what ones do you recommend?

Thanks so much,
—Fin—

Fin

Reaction score
Excellent! Basically just what I was looking for. Still almost $1000 though... Would it be worth looking into one used?

Fin

Reaction score
Are there arguments between spending $900 on the Rolland or 600 dollars on the Casio WK7500? I was looking at the Casio a while ago...

Reaction score
You might find something like this -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-V-Co...4070797?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c4c97568d

Anything I can offer on a comparison between the Casio and a VR-09 is going to be a little skewed - I use two of the VR-09's to make a living with.

If I had to use a Casio I'd cover the logo on the back with duct tape before I went on stage. And that comment really only shows my age, because the current gen of Casio keyboards are actually decent.

The VR-09 is going to be a lot easier to get around and gig with and the organ is better. The VR-09 is NOT what you want to sit at home and learn the piano on - good for learning organ though, and has all the other bread and butter sounds you'll use when you go out and make money :) The Casio is a better instrument to sit at home and learn the piano on - just my quick opinion though.

Hopefully these two guys - happyrat1 & SeaGtGruff will chime in and offer more of a technical side by side for you.

Have fun!
-Jim

Fin

Reaction score
Thanks! I already know how to play piano... I just picked stuff up, and my school music teacher taught me to read sheet music. I just recently started composing as well. Again, thanks for your advice... I'm thinking of getting the Rolland for sure.

Ask a Question