Hammond XK2 and Leslie 251

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new on this forum and I have several questions.
I have a Hammond-Leslie 251. I want to buy an electrical Hammond-organ.
Which type must I buy?
I am thinking of an second hand XK2.
My questions:
1. Does anyone know how old these XK2 organs are? (what are the years of production)?
2. Does a Leslie 251 works good with a XK2?
3. What is a normal price for a used XK2?
4. Can I better buy an other type (SK1 or XK-1C) and are they compattable with the Leslie 251?

Thanks for your answers.
Theo

Reaction score
For a few hundred dollars more you can purchase an XK1c. It sounds infinitely better than a XK2 and actually has a decent internal leslie which you wouldnt care about because of the leslie 251. The only advantage that the XK2 has is that the keybed is less stiff than the XK1c. The XK2 has an 11 pin connector in addition to a 1/4" output while the XK1c has an 8 pin connector in addition to a 1/4" output . Neither the 8 pin nor the 11 pin offer any distinct advantage connecting to a 251 leslie. Also, the XK1c weighs about 16 pounds while I believe the XK2 weighs twice the weight. The XK1c is the next generation technology.

A leslie 251 uses a non standard connection. Contact Tonewheel General and ask about connecting packages to a 251, specifically a 1/4", leslie 8 pin and 11 pin to a 251 input to price out these options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For a few hundred dollars more you can purchase an XK1c. It sounds infinitely better than a XK2 and actually has a decent internal leslie which you wouldnt care about because of the leslie 251. The only advantage that the XK2 has is that the keybed is less stiff than the XK1c. The XK2 has an 11 pin connector in addition to a 1/4" output while the XK1c has an 8 pin connector in addition to a 1/4" output . Neither the 8 pin nor the 11 pin offer any distinct advantage connecting to a 251 leslie. Also, the XK1c weighs about 16 pounds while I believe the XK2 weighs twice the weight. The XK1c is the next generation technology.

A leslie 251 uses a non standard connection. Contact Tonewheel General and ask about connecting packages to a 251, specifically a 1/4", leslie 8 pin and 11 pin to a 251 input to price out these options.

Hello Dave,

Thanks you very much for your answer. It is almost clear for me. When I understand you correct, I need a special connection-set to connect the 251-Leslie to or the XK2 or the XK1C. I think I will listen to your advise to buy the XK1C. Again, thanks a lot for your answer.

Reaction score
Yes, your understanding is correct. Tonewheel General will advise the connector pieces you need to send the audio signal, switch the les!ie speeds and power the 251 (if necessary). They would know. Also, Jim Alfredson developed a "tonewheel set" where he tweaked the digital tonewheels in the XK1c, as well as the keyclick and C/V so that it matched his 1954 C2. Through a tube leslie it sounds very convincing. The tonewheel set resides somewhere on Hammonds website. If you can't find it ping me back and we'll help you track it down.

Reaction score
Yes, your understanding is correct. Tonewheel General will advise the connector pieces you need to send the audio signal, switch the les!ie speeds and power the 251 (if necessary). They would know. Also, Jim Alfredson developed a "tonewheel set" where he tweaked the digital tonewheels in the XK1c, as well as the keyclick and C/V so that it matched his 1954 C2. Through a tube leslie it sounds very convincing. The tonewheel set resides somewhere on Hammonds website. If you can't find it ping me back and we'll help you track it down.

Hello Dave,
again much thanks for your answer. I think i can solve the problem now.

Kindly regards,
Theo

Reaction score
Just adding a tidbit to this thread. The 251 was actually designed for Conn organs, and was called the Electro-Music 251 Tone Cabinet in Conn literature. I have a Conn organ (Deluxe Caprice 465) with the connections that I'm refurbishing, but haven't found a 251 for it.

Ask a Question