Hammond XK2...onboard pipe organ patches?

Discussion in 'Hammond Keyboards' started by thozzman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. thozzman

thozzman

I'm considering a used XK2 and it comes with 64 onboard patches. More info is hard to come by on this unit.
    Anybody know if they include cathedral or pipe organ tones? I like to tinker with some classical pieces now and then.
    Thanks.

thozzman, Jul 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. thozzman

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

From what I've read on one web site, it sounds like maybe the 64 patches are simply a set of factory-default drawbar settings that can be overwritten with user patches-- i.e., 64 registrations for upper/lower/pedal drawbar settings filled with factory defaults for commonly-used settings but you can replace them with your own settings. I might be reading that wrong, but that's how it sounds to me. I can't find the XK2 on Hammond's own web site, but the description for the XK-1C mentions having a "pipe organ division," so maybe the XK2 does as well?

EDIT: I found a downloadable PDF of the "Quick Features Guide":

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/678734/Hammond-Xk-2.html

Be careful of other sites, as most of the ones that came up when I searched looked very dubious and I wouldn't click on them with a 10-foot pole from behind a dozen firewalls!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    SeaGtGruff, Jul 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. thozzman

thozzman

I decided to avoid these old keyboards, primarily because if they develop a problem, getting them repaired could be a real hassle. I've got my sights now on a Roland VR – 09 or a Hammond XK1c, or maybe the Sk1. BTW, did anybody notice that a couple of Internet retailers just dropped their price on the VR – 09 to 799? I'm wondering if Roland is going to come out with an updated version in the next 12 months or so .

thozzman, Aug 2, 2017
  4. thozzman

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

From what I've seen, retailers don't drop their prices in anticipation of a new model coming out, they just keep right on charging the regular price up until the new model comes out, and sometimes even after that. ;)

SeaGtGruff, Aug 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question