Hanon Virtuoso Pianist - Hands

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question.

I hope this makes sense.

I am studying Hanon's Virtuoso Pianist to strengthen my hands (my left hand is stronger than the right, though I'm right handed).

When there are two melody lines in the bass clef, do I play the notes as a chord with my left hand, or do I play the bass notes with both hands?

I'm new to the keyboard. Until now, I've never seen two melodies in one clef, As there is nothing in the treble clef, I didn't know how to play these.

Thanks

Reaction score
A chord will be displayed as a series of notes all joined on to the same vertical line, generally the note duration will be the same but that said the notes may or may not have the same duration. Yes, it can be confusing but reading music becomes easier with practice (or so I am told).

The time signature of the bar will be the summation of the duration of each note/chord/rests and this can be confusing getting the timing right.

So in answer to your question, yes you can play using both hands and even crossing over hands if that is the most efficient way. It is what works for you that will become natural and this will come with time and practice

Ask a Question