Happy Christmas . . .

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That was really hard on my ears. Nonetheless in the spirit of the season Best Wishes back atcha and all the kids out there expecting a musical whatchamacallit from Santa.

Here's the Canadian version of what our Aussie Brothers were trying to say I think.

And here's Santa with a case of two four and a carton of smokes for all!!! :D

smoker-santa.jpg

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And for all our Klingon Speaking Members out there... :D

(Hint) If a cop pulls you over, don't say this or tis a drunk tank ye'll be going. :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
That was really hard on my ears.
Sorry Gary. . It is a parody of a famous Aussie Rock Ballad tune "Khe Sahn" by "Cold Chisel" Maybe this song didn't make it overseas.
Also the place names are probably not familiar to you. Never mind Happy Christmas anyway to you from me :)

I like your beer drinking 12 days of Christmas (Hic!)
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Ray!!! Happy holidays back atcha.

In keeping with the Xmas theme, here's a few more tunes for all to enjoy :)

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

Merry Christmas Folks :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks Gary,
Luckily for Victorians (Melbourne and environs) we have escaped the inferno for now. We did get 44 degrees yesterday but today is cooler. The trouble spots are South Australia (Adelaide) very bad there 100 homes lost and some lives too.
as well as the whole of the east coast from top to bottom. Sydney area has also lost dozens of homes. The fires will burn now indefinitely and extreme hot weather is predicted late Dec and early Jan to flare up existing out of control blazes. Is why is why the Canadian help is most appreciated.
What worries me right now is Paul @CowboyNQ since he could be right in the thick of it. The Adelaide hills where some catastrophic fires are currently burning are on the outskirts of Adelaide where Paul lives. I could phone him, but for now this message will get to him no doubt and he will respond to us all here hopefully with good news.
Thanks for your kind thoughts
regards
Ray

Reaction score
Firstly, happy Christmas to all. Stay safe and enjoy the time with your friends, family, loved ones, dogs cats and especially rats.

Secondly, thanks for the shout out Ray. As you've said mate the Adelaide hills are sadly under seige due to tinderbox conditions of several consecutive days of 40+ degrees celsius (104+ degrees F) and high winds. Adelaide's geography is such that the hills are quite close to the city itself, and as it happens I'm sandwiched in between the two - right on the edge of suburbia where the hills start.

Something like 1000 buildings have been completely destroyed and that includes the aforementioned 100ish homes. Also a heap of livestock, plus some entire vineyards have been wiped out. But we're not alone down here in Adelaide, sadly huge chunks of Australia are currently ablaze, a good proportion of it perilously close to populated areas.

The good news is where I live there is no immediate or, frankly, likely threat although we remain ever vigilant of course.

The CBD is currently blanketed with a thick haze of smoke that can easily be seen, smelled and tasted. As it happens I was in Sydney last weekend and conditions were exactly the same there.

The other comment I'll make is on services. As both Gary and Ray mentioned, Australian and North American firefighters share a bond of brotherhood/sisterhood and travel to each other's shores during respective fire seasons in times of extreme crisis, such as now. We appreciate all the help we can get from our Northern Hemisphere friends who risk their lives to save ours. Sadly this Australian fire season has started unusually early which has made it more difficult than usual for resources from the other side of the globe to be freed up - a scary sign of modern times which I hope will not be ongoing either "down under" or up at the top of the globe.

My 'mates' Gary and Ray, I do appreciate the concern shown, but no need to fear, I am very much among the lucky ones. My heart goes out to those less fortunate.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
but no need to fear, I am very much among the lucky ones.
So glad mate :)

The CBD is currently blanketed with a thick haze of smoke that can easily be seen, smelled and tasted.
Us too in Melbourne. We are gasping for fresh air! You can carve the air with a knife!

Generally speaking, Australian summers are harsh but we expect it and we are used to it. Bush Fires are common this time of year and the extreme temperatures are normal. The silly thing is that Christmas carols here still include songs like "Winter Wonderland" and "Frosty the Snowman" and "Let it Snow" . . we are a weird mob I reckon!

cheers
Ray

Reaction score
Stay safe Ray.

I have a Cousin in Sydney another in Queensland, a niece in Melbourne and Sister in Law + her 3 kids in Perth all of whom are posting pretty nasty views of smoke laden skies near them.

We have just seen on our BBC the remains of Balmoral which has been totally destroyed.

Ask a Question