Hardware samplers?

Reaction score
I want to be able to use my Native Instruments Kontakt sounds live without having to bring my computer on stage. Is there a hardware sampler that could help me with this? I understand if there aren't any hardware samplers that can read Kontakt files, but maybe i could take the WAV files and map them out over the keyboard myself. I use very large sounds, like grand pianos where every key is sampled at multiple velocity levels.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are plenty of sampling keyboards on the market these days, but by comparison to a computer based sampler they will have limited capacity and options for a purist like yourself.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
But is there something that could come close to doing the job? Maybe something that can play WAV files directly from a hard drive, USB stick, or SD card?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's all sorts of performance keyboards and workstations with varying sampling capabilities.

Let's narrow it down to what budget are we talking about here first?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For instance the following link is one of the very first hits on a google search for best samplers of 2020

Most of these units are under $1000 but come with little memory.

Then there are workstations like the Montage or the Kurzweil PC4 or the latest Roland Fantom with (relatively speaking) gobs of memory but you are suddenly into the multiple thousands of dollars.

Even the Roland Juno DS61 at about $699 USD has some limited ability to load and play samples.

Can you be more specific? Do you need a full keyboard or not?

Are you looking for a full blown workstation or just a simple black box with a bunch of buttons?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Seems like most samplers today are for drums and loops. I have a nice keyboard so all i need is a module really. Preferrably under 1000$, but if i find something that suits my needs i could pay more.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be brutally honest I don't think I've ever heard of a rack module in the past ten years that was intended to play samples back thru a keyboard controller.

Like I said, if you want to get the sampler performance you desire for under $1K USD be prepared to make some serious compromises.

Your best bet in that price range is probably the Elektron Digitakt.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I want to be able to use my Native Instruments Kontakt sounds live without having to bring my computer on stage. Is there a hardware sampler that could help me with this? I understand if there aren't any hardware samplers that can read Kontakt files, but maybe i could take the WAV files and map them out over the keyboard myself. I use very large sounds, like grand pianos where every key is sampled at multiple velocity levels.
I seem to remember reading somewhere about Korg Kronos being capable of streaming samples from a hard drive. You might check the user manual and investigate that idea. One the other hand, the Kronos is an expensive piece of hardware and more difficult to move around than a laptop/usb drive/audio interface. YMMV Don aka B3maniac

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe if Muse Research can find a backer they'll start producing new modules.

Otherwise i still think the best bet today at about $1K is the Elektron line.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're looking to sample for serious classical recording then my next choice would be the Kurzweil PC4, but you're way past double on the budget.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Too bad that Muse Receptor isn't available anymore. There was a machine at NAMM 2018 called Synesthesia Pipes i think, but it never got into production (it seems). I wonder why more companies don't make this kind of stuff.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Too bad that Muse Receptor isn't available anymore. There was a machine at NAMM 2018 called Synesthesia Pipes i think, but it never got into production (it seems). I wonder why more companies don't make this kind of stuff.

Like I posted up above, Muse Research isn't quite out of business quite yet. They are apparently shopping around for a financial angel so that they can go into production again. Kurzweil went bankrupt a couple of times before they hooked up with Young Chang of Korea and nowadays they produce some terrific gear.

I'd forgotten about the Seelake but they pretty much price themselves out of reach for most musicians.

There used to be a company in Texas called Music Computing that made awesome music workstations that only major studios could afford to buy. Sort of a 21st century Fairlight by design.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question